Sharpening knives, blades... with a Tormek!

/ Sharpening knives, blades... with a Tormek! #21  
....I do have to admit, I am appalled at the condition of many of my family/friends knives when I visit, and often interject and offer to sharpen them if I notice, and they happen to have a stone/steel. Often they don't! :confused2:

I used to do this too. Then I found that people who don't take care of their knives, or know the difference between a good one and a lousy one, also think that huge amounts of force when cutting (with their dull knives) is NORMAL. They become accustomed to excessive force and can much more easily be seriously injured with a truly sharp knife.

/ Sharpening knives, blades... with a Tormek! #22  
I used to do this too. Then I found that people who don't take care of their knives, or know the difference between a good one and a lousy one, also think that huge amounts of force when cutting (with their dull knives) is NORMAL. They become accustomed to excessive force and can much more easily be seriously injured with a truly sharp knife.

agreed, family has actually refused to have me sharpen their knives after using mine, they are scared of them

/ Sharpening knives, blades... with a Tormek! #23  
That might be a good thing?

/ Sharpening knives, blades... with a Tormek! #24  
I find that i can put a good edge (hair shaving edge)on any good quality kitchen knife with a $12 Harbor Freight diamond 4 sided hone. I sure don't need to spend over $2 grand for a knife sharpener (which I saw was the price of one grade of Tormek). Unless I was building high end (high dollar custom knives), I cant see anyone needing one of those.
I keep my knives sharp all the time which the wife hates because she usually cuts herself with a really sharp knife but I find that more folks cut themselves badly with dull knives more often than with sharp ones. It only takes me a minute to sharpen any kitchen knife on my flat diamond hone. When you keep them sharp it only take as few strokes to bring the edge back.
A few that I have sharpened for others might take a long time to get the edge angle back in shape to sharpen when they haven't been sharpened in years if ever. I do find that most of my acquaintances do not sharpen their knives.

/ Sharpening knives, blades... with a Tormek! #25  
I sure don't need to spend over $2 grand for a knife sharpener (which I saw was the price of one grade of Tormek). Unless I was building high end (high dollar custom knives), I cant see anyone needing one of those.
Some of us have a lot more need for a sharpener than "kitchen knives", and I'm one of them.

I have 12", 18" and 20" planer blades to sharpen. Also jointer knives too, along with a lot of other uses for a sharpener.

SR

/ Sharpening knives, blades... with a Tormek! #26  
I have 30 carving knives that I use when teaching spoon carving. I use this because once the first one is set up its good to go.
Plus its awesome on turning tools, large draw knives etc.
I did not pay retail for mine I got an excellent deal on it from a person going out of business.

/ Sharpening knives, blades... with a Tormek! #27  
I cut meat for years and for the most part we used the steel to keep the edge on our blades. A few times a year we brought out the oil stones to remove the nicks and renew the bevel. I still do that here with the Tormek. Btw, anybody not familiar with the Tormek or its clones, you would be surprised at how slow that wheel spins. Combine that with the water bath and you'll understand why it is almost impossible to ruin the temper on a blade. That's a plus. On the flip-side, I tried to put an edge on some new mower blades and gave up...would have taken me a really long time so I went back to the bench grinder/water bucket. It's a great tool for chisels and I guess would work on jointer knives if I paid the $$$ for that jig. My planer is of the "lunchbox" variety and those blades cannot be sharpened (rather they are meant to be flipped then tossed).

/ Sharpening knives, blades... with a Tormek! #28  
While this is not as capable as the op's machine, I paid $5 at a local thrift store for it in like new condition. It meets my needs.

sharpener.JPG

/ Sharpening knives, blades... with a Tormek! #29  
I've got an older version of the Tormek, and I think it's a great system. I bought it back when I was building a lot of furniture, etc. But I mainly use it these days just for knife sharpening.

Yes, it's expensive and not every one needs one. But if someone wants it and can afford it, then I think it's a lifetime purchase.

After several years on this forum, it's clear to me that regardless of what you buy, someone else bought something different but "just as good" for a tiny fraction of what you paid. Umm, ok. :rolleyes:

/ Sharpening knives, blades... with a Tormek! #30  
Reading about some of your appreciation of fine cutlery and edges, I thought I'd share this link with the group.

"Chef's Knife Set" fine gemstone handled knife set and case by Jay Fisher

Imagine having this set in your kitchen!

Jay's whole website is worth exploring. Such an inspirational worker, not only with steel but also with stone, leather and wood. I'd love to spend a week following him around in his workshop.

Ken