She finally gave up (my old van)

/ She finally gave up (my old van) #1  

podagrower

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 40
I need a full size van for work, and about 5 years ago I bought a 98 Dodge 2500 van with 130,000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from was not big on maintenance. I fixed the few issues (bad speed sensor, bad oxygen sensor, needed a tuneup), and started driving. The first couple of years, I used the van as needed, but the last two years it has been my daily driver. The check engine light came on one morning, and there wasn't anything I could do about it, so I ignored it. The next morning, the light was off, and I was happy-until I figured out the bulb had burned out. No, I didn't fix it, the van had become disposable at this point. One day, I took it in for an oil change, and they had to put in water, a lot of water. I started looking for a leak and found it, between the block and the head. So I used some Bars leaks head gasket repair in a bottle, and kept driving. Eighteen months and 30,000 miles later (leak free) she finally died. I woke up to go to work, and there was a large puddle under the engine:eek:, not a good sign...Still runs (not well) but not worth fixing. So I bought
A lightly used 07 Ford E-250 van. What a difference. I used the new van to pull my trailer and tractor to a friends farm, plenty of power, geared correctly, plenty of brakes, great ride.

So, if you need to fix a head gasket, buy an additive, and if you need to tow 6500 lbs of trailer and tractor, a van can do it.

/ She finally gave up (my old van) #2  
Like you said that old Dodge did not owe you a thing so its time to let the old girl rest. Maybe call one of those guys in the paper who will tow it off and give you $100 to boot. My coworkers son had a Grand Am that he parted out. I mean everything including the motor, tranny, doors, hood, trunk, axles, and all front and rear suspension components. He call a guy at 9am and it was gone buy lunch with $100 in his hand. Although that may not be the case now since steel has gone down. Just make sure you have the title.

Just curious what your old van had in it? I am guessing a 318 since it ran so long.

Also what motor and gears are in the new Ford?

Chris

/ She finally gave up (my old van)
yeah, the old van was a 318. The new one is a 5.4 with 3.83 gears. I had driven a 5.4 with the 4.11 gears and it practicly lept off the line. I was worried the 3.83 wouldn't have the guts to pull the trailer off the line, but no sweat.

/ She finally gave up (my old van) #4  
The 5.4 will not win any races but it will last forever if you take decent care of it like the 318 did. By the way you have 3.73 gears I believe. Fords usually have 3.55, 3.73, 4.11, 4.33, 4.56, and 4.80 gears. Your tow rating according to my info is 7,400# with that setup.

Good luck with the new rig.

Chris

/ She finally gave up (my old van) #5  
By the way we will need pictures asap. Put them in the tow rig and trailer section.

Chris

/ She finally gave up (my old van) #6  
Vans I believe are over looked often in the truck arena. I've posted here many a time about what mine does for me. As for towing it used to be Chevy kept there axles close to the bumper on both length versions and Ford had 4' or more on theirs which made for a bad tow vehicle. I noticed at least on the short van) they moved their axle back on the new ones.
My Express 3500 moved my tractor the other day and I estimated total weight at 13K. Truck and trailer did fine. Never felt overpowered by the trailer at all.