Rotary Cutter Shear pin or slip clutch

/ Shear pin or slip clutch #1  

musselmark

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 NH TN75DA
I have a bush hog squealer 720 that came with a slip clutch. I have it attached to my TN75 tractor. Not paying attention i burned up the slip clutch then tightened up the springs to the point it would not slip anymore now broke the pto yoke. Should i replace yoke with a shear pin type? When using the slip clutch i found you almost have to keep looking at it to notice it slipping. A number of times it slipped so bad smoke was coming out of it.

/ Shear pin or slip clutch #2  
Pin is positive, doesn't hang up or slowly slip, doesn't need periodic service. I vote for the shear pin, and carry a spare.

/ Shear pin or slip clutch #3  
I must admit that I have never had a slip clutch, but never wanted one. I probably average one pin for every 20-25 hours that I run the cutter and it takes about 5 minutes to change a pin.

/ Shear pin or slip clutch #4  
Lots of mowing in bad conditions. After replacing dozens of shear pins over the years I personally was VERY happy to get a clutched brush hog. Nothing like a HOT summer day and a hot dusty metal deck to set on while trying to line the holes back up and then tightening up the bolt and nut. Yes the clutch does need some maintence but its been well worth it.

Shear pin is much simpler and requires no maintence. Just be sure to use the proper hardness so as to not risk the gears in the transmission. Sounds like you came close to a lot more expensive repair. Yikes. Self locking threads on the bolts nuts are also a good idea.

/ Shear pin or slip clutch #5  
If you slip the clutch,, you will go through a pocket full of shear pins in the morning,,
The only reason you will not go through two pockets full of bolts is that it takes so long to change the bolt.

A slip clutch is an expensive shear pin, that saves time,,,
ANYTHING can be abused with too much horsepower,,

Mow at the speed the mower was intended for,, not the speed your horsepower allows,,
that is part of operating the equipment correctly,,