Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid vs Shell Spirax S4 TXM ?

/ Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid vs Shell Spirax S4 TXM ? #1  

mike35549

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 with FEL
Are these the same fluid. Can't really find any info as far as spec sheet or msds on the Rotella HD. So is it just the Spirax packaged with a diffrent label for sale at certain stores. I know some TSC stores carry one or the other but never seen both at the same store. Thought maybe some of you oil experts could shed some light on this. Looking for fluid for my Mahindra 2538 HST and I feel these are better fluids than Mahindra brand and it is over $100 for 5 gallon at my local dealer.

/ Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid vs Shell Spirax S4 TXM ? #2  
I can't find it now but I seem to remember reading some place that the Rotella hd tractor fluid is donax td which is now called spirax s4 txm I have been using the Rotella in my 05 Kioti since the 100 hour mark after trying a different common UTF that caused foaming.

/ Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid vs Shell Spirax S4 TXM ? #3  
We use Shell S4 TXM, as do many farmers in the area. Its a great fluid that meets/exceeds specs.

/ Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid vs Shell Spirax S4 TXM ? #4  
I just called Shell technical assistance to ask the same question. There was a lot of "hold on while I check" while fielding my questions, but the answer I came away with is that Donax and HD are older products that have been renamed to Spirax. I asked in 3 different ways the general question: "So are you saying these are the same products with different names?" The answer was that they are the same products, and the primary difference is the areas in which they are available.

I left the conversation not-fully-confident, but I think much of that is the paranoia about the topic I've learned from compulsively reading threads on TBN. ;)

I've just bought two 5-gal buckets of Rotella HD.

/ Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid vs Shell Spirax S4 TXM ? #5  
I have 2, 5 gallon buckets of Rotella HD tractor fluid that has a silver Spirax, S4 TXM label covering the Rotella label.

/ Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid vs Shell Spirax S4 TXM ? #6  
I asked the same question on the Tractor Supply website and got this response from “the Shell Rotella Team”

Yes, The Rotella HD Tractor Transmission & Hydraulic Fluid is an alternative to Spirax S4 TXM.

A lot can be read into that statement.

/ Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid vs Shell Spirax S4 TXM ? #7  
Going to give it a shot on my NX, it's $49.99 a 5 gallon on sale at Fleet Farm with a $10 mail in rebate right now.

/ Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid vs Shell Spirax S4 TXM ? #8  
Been using the Rotella HD tractor fluid in my 2005 DK45S since the first 50 hour oil change. Seems to work OK or at least no ill effects, And as said before I have two buckets of the Rotella HD tractor fluid purchased at Walmart that have been overlaid with the Spirax S4 TXM labels.

/ Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid vs Shell Spirax S4 TXM ? #9  
I realize this is an older thread, but I thought I would link the technical sheets for the two oils discussed here. The data almost looks like it was copied and pasted, with the brand name being replaced. Only physical property difference is the pour point; -42 vs -43.6

Shell Rotella HD

Shell Spirax S4 TXM ("Formally Known As: Donax TD")

/ Shell Rotella HD tractor fluid vs Shell Spirax S4 TXM ? #10  
The fact Shell Rotella HD is available at Fleet Farm for $57 w/ $10 rebate makes this a very attractive deal.

Currently, there is also a $20 Fleet Farm gift card included for certain purchases above $100. This oil is currently on the list.

Rebate :