shifter issues with a 1950's FERGUSON TO-35

/ shifter issues with a 1950's FERGUSON TO-35 #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
seems to be stuck in second gear .

any thoughts to assist would be appreciated.

cheers,

scaredychicken

/ shifter issues with a 1950's FERGUSON TO-35 #3  
You may be able take the plug off the top where you add oil and get in there with a big screw drive and get it going again by giving the fork a pry.

/ shifter issues with a 1950's FERGUSON TO-35 #4  
I had 2 MF 35s, 60's vintage but had a TO-20 of the '50's vintage. It had that problem happen. I popped the cover and while peering down into the tranny I could see that the forks weren't sliding a gear far enough due to wear on the forks causing it to jam between gears on two different shafts...shuttle gear didn't move far enough.

As I recall I pulled the forks and did a metal build up on the worn surfaces with my welder, finished it off for a smooth fit and that was that.

/ shifter issues with a 1950's FERGUSON TO-35 #5  
I have a TO 35 that has that happen on occasion if I shift too fast. It will do it in reverse at times too. Two ways to correct it both pretty simple. As Billrog says, pull the oil filler cap and try sliding the gears a bit back and forth until something moves, or (this way is easier) lift the rubber boot at the base of the shift lever, push out the little round pin that goes sideways through the shift mechanism (be careful not to drop to the ground and loose it), Lift the shift lever up, reinsert the lever into what ever gear it is supposed to be and shift it back to neutral, re-insert the pin. I carry a small #1 phillips in the tool box to use as a drift to push the pin out. Once you get used to doing it, it is about a 30 second fix. Might take a hammer to tap the pin out he first few times you do it (Not usually though, usually you can just tap the screw driver lightly with the palm of you hand to push the pin out)

I have heard of people fixing it permanently by adding a little weld spot to the ball on the business end of the shift lever. I have never found it to be that big of bother as is to take a chance of screwing it up with that permanent repair. If you always shift in a slow relaxed manner, it will probably never get stuck in gear. If it gets stuck, it is not that big of deal to unstick.

/ shifter issues with a 1950's FERGUSON TO-35
thanks everyone

/ shifter issues with a 1950's FERGUSON TO-35 #7  
Just to add, the way to prevent this from happening (most commonly, anyway) is to press down on the shifter and shift slower/more deliberately. As these machines age and the tolerances open up, it's easy to pop them in between gears.

Pretty common issue on the older Masseys. The large screwdriver through the oil fill is the common fix, as mentioned.