Shipping a handgun from WA to TX

/ Shipping a handgun from WA to TX #1  

texbaylea

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader
I am buying a nice S & W Model 37 from a friend of my son's. I will have it shipped from Washington state to Texas. I haven't done this in 2 decades. Any hints or gotcha's I should watch out for?

Vernon

/ Shipping a handgun from WA to TX #2  
legally if the seller is in another state you have to have it shipped by a licensed FFL dealer

/ Shipping a handgun from WA to TX #3  
It's been about 21 years, but once when I went to Alaska, I wasn't sure if I was going to stay up there, so I took my two revolvers to a local gun dealer here and he shipped them to a dealer in Anchorage and I picked them up there. And when I came back south, I used the same two dealers to send the guns back to Texas since it would have been illegal to carry them through Canada.

So I'd say you just need to decide on a nearby dealer in Texas, and send his name and address to the seller, and the seller will find a dealer up there to ship the guns to your Texas dealer.

/ Shipping a handgun from WA to TX #5  
You need to locate a FFL near you in your state. He does the same in his state. Then he ships it through his FFL to your FFL. This will involve a fee for the services, around 25 to $50 plus shipping. The FFLs can guide you through the process, they do it all the time.

Depending on your local laws, you may or may not need a hand gun license.

/ Shipping a handgun from WA to TX #6  
Does anyone have suggestions on which shipping company to use?

I have heard some companies are better than others for firearms. However I don't remember which are better or worse. The FFL holder would/should have an idea but TBNers might have different information.

Later,
Dan

/ Shipping a handgun from WA to TX #7  
The FFL will have a lot of experience with this. I would go with what he suggested or just let him handle it. There are federal regulations involved as well as shipper company policy.

/ Shipping a handgun from WA to TX #8  
I think if you read the regs you will see that you can ship a hand gun but it has to go overnight UPS/FEDX to a FFL in what ever state your shipping to. The plus to having a dealer do it is they can ship USPS which saves a few dollars. Also some dealers will not accept a handgun from a private party. Oh if you ship you will need a copy of the receiving dealers FFL license to show to UPS/FEDX clerk. Be ready to PAY shipping overnight is very pricey at either UPS/FEDX!! Hope this helps some be ready some shipping clerks are not up to speed on the rules!! As for which shipper is better you will hear good/bad about both and I have used both. Good luck.:thumbsup:

/ Shipping a handgun from WA to TX #9  
Don't forget to buy extra insurance from the shipping company. Usually only $1/$100 value of item.

/ Shipping a handgun from WA to TX #10  
Here is a FAQ page from ATF. When they reference a "non licensed" they mean a private person and not an FFL.