Shipping container to use for storage of mower and tractor in Georgia

/ Shipping container to use for storage of mower and tractor in Georgia #1  

philnsherrylowe

Tractor
Kubota 2009 BX2660
Hello:
We are in Northwest Georgia and have considered purchasing a 40' shipping container to store our push mower, weed eaters, zero turn mower and Kubota tractor. Have read a couple of articles that advises against storing any type / amount of fuel in a storage container due to the high heat during summer due to risk of explosion. (even the small amount stored in fuel tank only)

Those who live in similiar climate, have you had any issues with excessive heat and/or explosion?
Before we purchase just want to see if this type of tractor storage is working out for others and what type of ventilation will keep the temps at a safe level.
Shipping container by far is the cheapest storage building we have found from research.

Thank you in advance for any insights, ideas or experience.

/ Shipping container to use for storage of mower and tractor in Georgia #2  
See the post right below this... Vent it.

/ Shipping container to use for storage of mower and tractor in Georgia #3  
I have a 40'er in NW GA myself. It gets hot, but we are not talking like 150 deg. Maybe like 20 deg above ambient temp. I keep a walk behind leaf blower in there and my ATV, never have been scare of the fuel igniting due to high heat.

/ Shipping container to use for storage of mower and tractor in Georgia #4  
Would it be possible to put a vent high and one low to create air circulation and maybe put it where it will be shaded part of the day?

/ Shipping container to use for storage of mower and tractor in Georgia #5  
Would it be possible to put a vent high and one low to create air circulation and maybe put it where it will be shaded part of the day?
In my opinion both of those things would be a great idea. Mine has no extra ventilation but has a roof built over half of it, I think that helps.

/ Shipping container to use for storage of mower and tractor in Georgia #6  
Gasoline vapor is heavier than air. If you put a couple of vents down low, that should keep vapor from accumulating. Make sure they are screened to keep out rodents. The danger is when you walk in and start an engine to drive it out. A spark can ignite vapor down to -50F. Gasoline itself won't self-ignite unless you're baking cookies in your container. Something like 400+ degrees.