Shipping Tractors

/ Shipping Tractors #121  
Old Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times!"

We do . . .

Electric cars are coming, with electric trucks and probably electric tractors as well, not too long after.

We're going to have a mixed fleet for years. Cars get replaced comparatively quickly, ten to twelve years or so, after 20 years, most cars are in the scrap yard or up on blocks deep in the weeds. The transition to electric cars will be first. In some cases, people will have both a gas car and an electric car. The electric car is an appliance, it is a grocery-getter, the gas car will be for longer trips and weekends.

Electric (big) trucks will take longer. The range isn't there yet (key word "yet"), and big trucks have a longer service life than consumer grade cars. You'll start to see (and in fact already see) electric trucks in freight yards, for local deliveries and on predictable routes like school bus routes and inter-city transit. School buses are a great use for electric vehicles - they run twice a day and can be recharged at night when the electric rates are lower and demand is lower. Less maintenance will make ANY school board happy. (Fear not, they'll find other ways to spend our tax dollars - they might even start paying teachers a living wage!)

Tractors will take longer. As we know, there are 30 and 40 year old tractors still in use and still going (reasonably) strong. Tractor batteries are going to need some serious KWH capacity but fortunately, "weight is good" in tractors.

This is going to take some serious increases in grid capacity. I have read that if the US went electric everything tomorrow (stoves, clothes dryers, water heaters, A/C and heat, cars and other vehicles, etc.) we'd need triple the capacity that we have now. Barring suitcase size 1,000 KWH fusion power plants being sold at WalMart for $29.95, that isn't going to happen.

You and I can't break the cycle of burning fossil fuel > increasing CO2 > increasing global temperature > melting icecaps > sea lever rise all by ourselves, but we CAN each help a little. When you replace your gas stove, go electric. Same for your clothes dryer. Get a heat pump next time your A/C dies. Add solar cells on your roof. Add a little insulation to your home and get double pane windows - these are little things which get done on the normal replacement cycles. If you have enough ants you can eat an elephant.

Yes, a lot of electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels, but the long term trend is towards nuclear and renewables. We still need oil and gas, but not to burn them, we need them for plastics, chemicals and fertilizers.

Another advantage is that electric rates are regulated by various public utility commissions, and they don't like rate increases and surcharges at all. Consequently, electric rates are much more stable than oil (hence gas) prices.

We may not be real happy with the way things are going, but that doesn't mean we can't use our heads and adapt to conditions we can't change. We've been through worse.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Shipping Tractors #122  
I think its time we re-examine concentrating on plans for massive green new deal expenditures and focus on what is happening with the dollar petro/dollar, inflation, wars and nations who are trying to do us harm.
We may be headed for a crash the likes of we have never seen

/ Shipping Tractors #124  
I have two good friends who INSIST there's going to be a revolution real soon now.

They are not particularly specific about who or what they are revolting against, in fact, they are downright vague and say things like "the establishment" or "the deep state" or "them", none of which they define.

I also have not heard anything about what happens after this inevitable revolution (or impending "storm").

Who is going to keep the electricity on? Who will keep GPS working? How about the internet? Who will be refining gasoline, jet A and diesel? What will we use for money? What happens to violent criminals who are in prison? Do we let them go? If not, who becomes responsible for keeping them there? What about private property (land, houses, businesses, cars, tractors)? Will we be one country, or six, or fifty (or more) or will we get total anarchy? What happens if China (or whoever) realizes that the United States isn't united any more and can't or won't defend itself? Who gets the army/navy/air force/nukes, etc.?

Do we get a democracy, or a totalitarian dictatorship, or does everyone become a survivalist and head for the hills with a rifle and as much ammo and as many MREs as they can carry? Do we get a Mad Max scenario? Is there a "shadow" government waiting in the wings and prepared to take over when the present government is deposed? (Answer - nope.)

Sure, there's a lot of dissatisfaction with all the stuff that is going on here and in the rest of the world, and a lot of it is justified. Throwing it all away ("baby out with the bath water") isn't the solution. We have a complex and highly interconnected/interdependent society, and it is also pretty resilient.

Get involved with your local government. Attend city commission meetings (yes, they're mostly boring, but that's how you know what's going on in town). Pay attention to state politics, a little less to national politics because the government WE can affect is our local government. Get educated as to the real issues (in other words, forget facebook and twitter), get on local boards and committees, and most of all VOTE! That's how we change governments. If you're really, really unhappy with the choice of candidates, run for office yourself.

Bitching about everything cures nothing, it makes people avoid you because you become unpleasant to be around, and it gives you ulcers. Get out and VOTE - your vote counts!

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Shipping Tractors #125  
Maybe you missed the fact that production increased in 2021 and is increasing even more in 2022?
I think what you might be missing is that the increase in 21 and so far in 22 still hasn't gotten to the production levels achieved in 20.

<--- As he drags his soapbox out in the forum and stands on it

When it comes to electric this & that I believe that all this garbage must mostly be seen through big city folk eyes. Those of us in rural America will, once again, be screwed by these so called advances. For example, when I go to see my doctor, I have to travel close to 250 miles (248.6 miles round trip). Electric cars are not currently capable of making this round trip without a charge. Maybe some of the new "smartcar sized" vehicles may be able to make this trip without charging; however, show me one of these sized vehicles that will A) hold 4 adults, 2 service dogs and a 500# electric wheelchair. B) be able to hold up going a minimum of 20 miles/trip on poorly maintained gravel roads - usually the tires on these vehicles will go flat when you hit a small pothole. C) not cost more than my house when including a "super fast" charger.

Of course there are other real concerns when it comes to "Green Energy" that proponents refuse to answer - typically they dodge or deflect questions.

Real questions like A) Why is it justifiable to poison the earth with the extremely toxic waste produced by the solar panel manufacturing process? B) Why is it justifiable to have the rare earth minerals (neodymium and dysprosium) necessary for green vehicles & wind turbines to be 80% (globally) supplied by China (or 90% of the silicone chips used in PV's)? Doesn't this appear to put us in an even worse place than getting 10-15% of our oil from Russia? C) what about the disposal of PV'S, is it OK to poison the earth because it's "Green"? D) Why is it okay for wind turbine farms to kill birds (including many bald eagles) when if I "accidentally" hit/kill a bald eagle I could go to jail & have a huge fine? Why aren't all of the animal activists jumping up & down and litigating every wind farm operator for these deaths? Is it because it's "Green"?

I could go on, but if you look at my posts here and in other posts you can find numerous other questions.

The point I'm trying to make is that the "rules" don't seem to apply to the Green Energy folks, but let a fossil fuel company exec get caught scratching his privates, and we have to create new regulations to punish them.

I'm really doing my best to not get "really" political; however, some may find my opinions/experiences political, for this I do apologize.

<--- He carefully gets off the soapbox and puts it away until the next time it's needed.

Last edited:
   / Shipping Tractors
The thread has gone entirely sideways. This thread was meant to discuss the high rates offered for shipping, nothing more. Please take your political, policy, etc. discussions elsewhere.

/ Shipping Tractors #127  
I think what you might be missing is that the increase in 21 and so far in 22 still hasn't gotten to the production levels achieved in 20.

<--- As he drags his soapbox out in the forum and stands on it

When it comes to electric this & that I believe that all this garbage must mostly be seen through big city folk. Those of us in rural America will, once again, be screwed by these so called advances. For example, when I go to see my doctor, I have to travel close to 250 miles (248.6 miles round trip). Electric cars are not currently capable of making this round trip without a charge. Maybe some of the new "smartcar sized" vehicles may be able to make this trip without charging; however, show me one of these sized vehicles that will A) hold 4 adults, 2 service dogs and a 500# electric wheelchair. B) be able to hold up going a minimum of 20 miles/trip on poorly maintained gravel roads - usually the tires on these vehicles will go flat when you hit a small pothole. C) not cost more than my house when including a "super fast" charger.

Of course there are other real concerns when it comes to "Green Energy" that proponents refuse to answer - typically they dodge or deflect questions.

Real questions like A) Why is it justifiable to poison the earth with the extremely toxic waste produced by the solar panel manufacturing process? B) Why is it justifiable to have the rare earth minerals (neodymium and dysprosium) necessary for green vehicles & wind turbines to be 80% (globally) supplied by China (or 90% of the silicone chips used in PV's)? Doesn't this appear to put us in an even worse place than getting 10-15% of our oil from Russia? C) what about the disposal of PV'S, is it OK to poison the earth because it's "Green"? D) Why is it okay for wind turbine farms to kill birds (including many bald eagles) when if I "accidentally" hit/kill a bald eagle I could go to jail & have a huge fine? Why aren't all of the animal activists jumping up & down and litigating every wind farm operator for these deaths? Is it because it's "Green"?

I could go on, but if you look at my posts here and in other posts you can find numerous other questions.

The point I'm trying to make is that the "rules" don't seem to apply to the Green Energy folks, but let a fossil fuel company exec get caught scratching his privates, and we have to create new regulations to punish them.

I'm really doing my best to not get "really" political; however, some may find my opinions/experiences political, for this I do apologize.

<--- He carefully gets off the soapbox and puts it away until the next time it's needed.
To paraphrase Animal Farm... "Some environmental disasters are more greener than others.."

/ Shipping Tractors #129  
The thread has gone entirely sideways. This thread was meant to discuss the high rates offered for shipping, nothing more. Please take your political, policy, etc. discussions elsewhere.
Yep, because I've never had a conversation on any topic (virtual or in person) that didn't stray outside the strict lines of my question.

The original topic was fully discussed. There were also ideas and opinions expressed as to why we have high shipping rates.That is what I like about this forum, you get a broad range of discussion about a topic rather than just simple answer without context as to "why" and how to prevent the problem being discussed.

When researching a specific topic looking for a very basic answer I usually turn to Duck Duck Go but the results are not unlike this thread. A few solid hits that are exactly the answer that I was looking for interspersed with a bunch of non-relevant links. I usually skip past those without getting too upset about it.

/ Shipping Tractors #130  

See heres where I disagree. Politics? Yeah ok we can try to refrain from discussing.
But POLICY is different. Its not necessarily politics. It affects us ALL in almost everything we do.
An example would be DST bill passed in Senate. That is POLICY. It affects us all in some way, especially those of us who work outside, which I would say 99% of those of us here are doing.