Shop light advice?

/ Shop light advice? #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
I'm going to electrify my 40X60 metal shop building. I've looked at all the various types if indoor/outdoor lights available... mercury vapor, metal halide, high pressure sodium, flourescent... etc.

Daytime is plenty bright.... have skylights ... there are three 20 ft bays and one skylight on each side of each bay... 6 total.

Peak is 17 feet. I thought I'd run a string of lights under the peak from end to end and use these for the general lighting. Then, a row on each side on individual switch. That way, when I am working on one side I can turn on that side string of lights... or both sides if moving all over the floor and need good light everywhere.

I plan to turn the lights on and off as needed. Outside lights will be over walk doors and have motion detectors and light sensors.

I'll be doing wood working, vehicle repair, maintence, etc.

I'd like to not have to replace bulbs very often or pay too much to the electric company. Am willing to spend more on initial install to get payback on reduced energy bills. However, the lights will not be on except at night, and that would be maybe 3 hours 4 nights a week.

Outside, I need the motion sensitive lights to show me the rattlesnakes and a separate light on one end up high to provide light in case I need to do things outside.

My current idea is as follows:

Inside lights: 8 foot flourescent shop light, 2 bulbs each, 6 total in each string running the length of the shop. 3 strings (center, right side, left side) = 18 total lights. I'm confused as to the options of bulbs...T12, T8, varouus ballasts (seldom gets below 20 degrees here)

Outside lights: big light = metal halide quartzx 400 watts
motion detector, 2 bulbs in each, 150 wats each bulb.

So... I know lots of you have faced this same quandry.... lumens for the buck... from your experience and research, what have you found that works really well, is reliable, and satisfactory to the pocket book?

Suggestions on my ideas, number of lights, kind, placement, etc. welcome

My electrical suppliers (have gotten bids from 2 electrical suppliers and Home Depot... went back and forth and got prices lowered several times) are in the $2000 range for the lights alone... no wire or installation which I will do with assistance from some buddies (final hookup by true electrician). Thus, I want to make sure that I "do it right the first time" if possible.

/ Shop light advice? #2  
Fluorescents are not terribly effective once you get much more than 8' off the ground. I find that they are fine for overall lighting, but not much good for working under where you need good lighting. I like metal halide best for outside and inside, and high pressure sodium second. Following up the list is Mercury Vapor. My local electrical supply house told me this week when I went in to get a mercury vapor bulb, that they were being discontinued, but the company that supplied the fixtures told me that they are still producing them. I use Mercury vapor lights around the house made by Regency. I have bought them from Lowe's and Home Depot in the past and they are $50 each for an outside street light type of unit. They have light sensors on the top, and late at night I turn them off. Turn them on in the morning, and as dusk they come back on. One other consideration when placing lights high is that you have to get up to them to clean them. Dusty

/ Shop light advice? #3  
Be aware that different types of lighting gives off a different color light. High pressure sodium gives a yellowish light. I have one in my back yard, and it is very bright, but I wouldn't want to do woodworking with it, especially if your matching colors.
Ken

/ Shop light advice? #4  
I have eight 8ft double bulb fluorescents in my pole barn and the ballast hum drives me bonkers.
Not sure what type of lights they are but with the high ceilings you have, you can probably use the type of lights used in ware houses and commercial shops. The lights put out plenty of light and the light color is good.
Farwell

/ Shop light advice? #5  
I have a 42' x 72' polebarn I'm finishing out. I plan to run twelve 8' T12 double bulb (75w per bulb) fluorescent fixtures with instant start ballasts, in four banks of three fixtures.

I currently have two fixtures hung and temporarily wired up and given how much light they throw I think 12 fixtures will be plenty ...... although if I install a 7' high x 8' deep loft across the back wall I may add some task lighting under it. My fixtures are mounted almost 12' high.

I installed a 70w HPS dusk to dawn light outside on one of the long walls (front) of the polebarn and it really lights up the approach - I was surprised at how well.

The T12 fixtures (sans bulbs) were around $700 and the HPS was around $80.

/ Shop light advice? #6  
rswyan said:
I have a 42' x 72' polebarn I'm finishing out. I plan to run twelve 8' T12 double bulb (75w per bulb) fluorescent fixtures with instant start ballasts, in four banks of three fixtures.

I currently have two fixtures hung and temporarily wired up and given how much light they throw I think 12 fixtures will be plenty ...... although if I install a 7' high x 8' deep loft across the back wall I may add some task lighting under it. My fixtures are mounted almost 12' high.

I installed a 70w HPS dusk to dawn light outside on one of the long walls (front) of the polebarn and it really lights up the approach - I was surprised at how well.

The T12 fixtures (sans bulbs) were around $700 and the HPS was around $80.

Yep, the T12 HO's (110 watt bulbs) were recommended by my electrician (skip the electronic ballast ones, they're not as good). After installing 9- 8' fixtures in a 30x40x10 area, I'm glad we used 3 circuits (3 on each bank). One set will give good general lighting, two sets are good for seeing what you want to do and 3 sets feel like it's suntan time!

For that high ceiling problem, the lights can be suspended with conduit or chains.

/ Shop light advice? #7  
My shop is 24x30 feet with 12 foot walls. I mounted my flourecent lights right to the rafters at 12 feet. I put in four pairs of 8ft lights and it's very bright in there. I enjoy having a tall ceiling and wouldn't want anything hanging down to get in the way.

I also mounted a light under my shelf to give more light on my workbench, but in the year that I've lived here, I've never used it.

Eddie

/ Shop light advice? #8  
My shop measures 30x70, I have 12' ceilings I installed the T8 8' fixture which takes 4 - 32watt bulbs each. I have a total of 27 fixtures on the ceiling and another 2 over my work bench. I am more than pleased with the lighting; my fixtures have the electronic ballast which are fine in cold weather.

I looked at the T12 HO 8' fixtures, that take the 110watt bulbs. I could not find the 110watt bulbs at Home Depot. Here is a link that shows the cost of a bulb any where from $12.00 to $15.00.

110 Watt - T12 - High Output - Cool White - 4100 Kelvin - Fluorescent - F96T12/CW/HO - Shatter Resistant Light Bulb

The industry is going to the more efficient T12's and smaller bulbs. The T12 4' bulb I used is I think the most popular bulb out there right now, by the case at T12 bulb cost me just under $2.00 each.

I would definitely go the same route if I had to do it again.

Good Luck!
Bill

/ Shop light advice?
Good info everybody.... I'll study up on your likes, dislikes and match to my needs.... you've givem me some stuff to avoid and to look at carefully...exactly what I was looking for...You guys are the best!:D

/ Shop light advice? #10  
I went with the 8' 110w HO bulbs in my 50x64x12 shop. Only lighting 50 x48 with them since we framed and finished off one side thats 50x16. There are three light fixtures on each switch, only really need one bank on at time.