Shopping around never seases to amaze me.

/ Shopping around never seases to amaze me. #1  

davesl708

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200D,
Went shopping for lower cost OEM oil filters and found Amazon to be $6 higher than my dealer charges.

Seems my dealer is not gouging like other dealers I know have. Not much more money than Walmart and OEM rather than aftermarket.:dance1:

/ Shopping around never seases to amaze me. #2  
Amazon is 'often' the lowest price, but you are definitely correct, not always.

There are several things I've found less expensive at the local store. Quite a few at Lowes/Home Depot, which really surprised me. I always try to comparison shop, even off Amazon, if I have the opportunity. Often, the manufacturer will have them less expensive, on his own website. Even though they will be the 'seller' on Amazon, there are times when it is more expensive.

/ Shopping around never seases to amaze me. #3  
Went shopping for lower cost OEM oil filters and found Amazon to be $6 higher than my dealer charges.

Seems my dealer is not gouging like other dealers I know have. Not much more money than Walmart and OEM rather than aftermarket.:dance1:

Found the same thing. PTO seal on line was about $30 plus shipping. The dealer had it for $18.50.

/ Shopping around never seases to amaze me. #4  
I rarely shop for anything other then manufacturer supplied filters after I discovered that the filtration levels are often not the same with bigger emphasis given to physical and thread size. Crosses sometimes mention three filters and all have different filtration levels. You often can't even find out the original OEM specs on a filter. I tried with Kubota, but it was a useless endeavor. They say, our filter part number X is for that machine and that's that.

/ Shopping around never seases to amaze me. #5  
I always try to price shop an item.
You can go on ebay and the price will be all over the place on the same item!
Some times the lower price will have ridiculous shipping cost too!
I have learned to search for a manufacturer part number then google it for better price.
BUT, on the Branson Tractor board some have had problems with after market hydraulic filters so I will only go with OEM with some parts.

/ Shopping around never seases to amaze me. #6  
Fortunately, the donk in my 4105 is a YANMAR... and my local auto parts shop carries a selection of diesel engine filters (including mine).

The price is only 2-3 dollars less. Which means that my local (2hr distance away) JD dealership's prices aren't that bad at all.

However, I will not compromise on the hydraulic filter (or fluid)... it's OEM all the way.

/ Shopping around never seases to amaze me. #7  
A couple of things I've learned about Amazon.

I was looking for an item today. Did a generic search on Amazon and found the item for $20 more than the local Walmart. I then searched on the specific model number and found the item $2 less than Walmart with free shipping.

Another thing, if Amazon if fulfilling the order, check who the vendor is they are fulfilling. I was looking for some electronic components. The total order on Amazon was $18 plus $12 shipping. I found the vendors site and the order was $18 with $5 shipping. Needless to say, I went direct with the vendor.

/ Shopping around never seases to amaze me. #8  
I posted in another thread about similar ordeal , although mine was just the opposite . Oil filter for my cummins was $66 at either of the 2 local Napa stores . $51 at one local dealer and $65 at actual cummins dealership / shop . Figured " WTH " and tried Amazon .:confused3:

WTH was a understatement . The Wix / Napa Brand was $38 with Free shipping and the brand that both local shops sold was $34 with free shipping , ( same brand that is currently on engine ) . :cool2: Same part number , size , etc.. .

Loyal to local places ? Uh , No :thumbsup: Not when I can buy 2 for what the local places were selling 1 for . Bought it last weekend and it is already waiting at house for Me .:thumbsup:

Funny someone mentioned Ebay and how the same item can be priced all over the place . Although I don't shop there a lot , I do troll and look and have noticed that also to the point of almost Laughing My arse off trying to figure out what people are thinking . Sad part is though that there are people actually bidding on the higher priced stuff :shocked:

Fred H.

Last edited:
   / Shopping around never seases to amaze me. #9  
Try this. In example, you are looking for a hotel, airline ticket or certain item. The longer you look or more places you look at the price goes up. Clear your cookies and browsing history and the prices will drop.

/ Shopping around never seases to amaze me. #10  
Try this. In example, you are looking for a hotel, airline ticket or certain item. The longer you look or more places you look at the price goes up. Clear your cookies and browsing history and the prices will drop.

Amazing if true. Wow! Big Brother of retail.