Shortage or did I get finessed?

/ Shortage or did I get finessed? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Wife's passenger side bright light (headlight) is out. I've been working from home last several days so want to get out. Done for day, figure I'll drive 10 miles into town to get new bulb tonight so I can get it fixed.....then TOMORROW, when I "go out" I can go the OPPOSITE way to the Co-op and get some diesel. (don't like going both directions in same day)

I drive to NAPA which is the first of several car parts place as I drive into town. Go in.....find my bulb, walk towards register to pay....and I stop in my tracks.

I have this gut feeling that I'm forgetting something so rather than blast in, blast out.....I'm pausing.

Meanwhile, during my pause, the store manager/owner (?) walks in the front door yapping to his man behind the counter about the neighbors who (ARE) thumping their bass laden music WAY too loud..... it's almost pressurizing this building though I don't know how close they were.

I'm standing there.....and he blurts out to me....

"Don't you have a diesel??" he asks me.
"mmm..... yes?" I answer a bit curiously
"I've only got a couple gallons of 30-10 on hand, not getting any more"

Me, not putting together his exact meaning....
"What's 30-10??" (this wasn't the number he used but it was a hyphenated)

"Oil.... I'm down to a couple gallons of 30-10 for diesels in case you want to get some.....I won't be getting any more in"

Me, still trying to figure out exactly what he's telling/asking me....
"I use straight 30 weight in my tractor, I forget what the backhoe uses"

"Same reality, no more is coming in"

Now I'm perplexed....

"are you telling me the oil you are ordering is stuck on a ship waiting to be off loaded in California or, are you saying you're not carrying it anymore or are you saying they're not MAKING it any more???"

(please clarify what on earth you are trying to tell/ask me)

To which he said:

"I have three gallons of 30 weight. We have been ordering oils to replenish our stock over there and we can't get any. Our Shell supplier told us that the (ONE) company that makes the additive for these is currently shut down"

"So you are again, telling me this is temporary until they can get their "supply chain" crises taken care of or they're out of business or what???"

"Just that we're told we can't get any more stock so it's down to what we have on hand.....I knew you had a diesel so thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to get some before we run out"

Shrugging my shoulders, I walked to their stock.....they had three gallons of 30 weight left so, knowing I'll change the oil in spring, I went ahead & grabbed them (to add to my existing 2-3 gallons I already have)

This is the first I've heard anything about oil shortages for this type purpose (yes, I DO somewhat live in a shell lol)

So, I bought them. Was that a nice move grabbing them while I could or did I fall for his panic??
I've simply stuck them on the shelf so it's not like they'll go to waste.

/ Shortage or did I get finessed? #2  
It’s true, some diesel oil is difficult to find, for various reasons. Blame it on a Supply Chain Crisis. The following claim is very common…”Your order may take longer than normal to arrive. We are experiencing extremely high demand and freight carriers are experiencing delays nationwide. LTL shipments are most severely affected.” So if you see your maintenance items in stock, it’s a good idea to grab it.

Last edited:
   / Shortage or did I get finessed? #3  
I was just at the NAPA store here in Cheney. They seemed to have plenty of all grades/brands they normally stock.

/ Shortage or did I get finessed? #4  
Common for the Rotella T6 5w-40. It's non existent in WalMart and most stores, only stores that still had gallons in my area was Advance at $31.99/gallon. Look on Scamazon for the T6 5w-40, oof..... Another thing shelfs starting to become empty of is DEF fluid, especially at Walmart(cheapest place for 2.5 gallon jug). Home Depot had sign on shelf saying 6 bottle limit of the DEF due to nationwide shortage????

/ Shortage or did I get finessed? #5  
Same here, Walmart hasn't had rotella t6 (or much of any other rotella) for a while now. I was able to get some t6 5w40 from napa on sale for about $24, hopefully I'll have enough to last me until things get caught up (and hopefully prices don't go up too much)

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Shortage or did I get finessed?
For you DEF folks out there.... (ironic....it's usually my wife who's telling me that I'm deaf... however, I digress)

Anyway, if you can't get DEF, does your tractor, truck, car continue to work as is or does it shut down?

/ Shortage or did I get finessed? #7  
My pickup will go into limp mode and limit the speed to 5 MPH until it gets added. It's strictly a computer enabled restriction, the engine will work fine at all speeds without the DEF, but the computer controls the engine. Once the engine is shut off I'm not sure if it will restart without the DEF.

/ Shortage or did I get finessed? #8  
True. My Napa has 'supply chain' issues with different filters, oils and other stuffs.

BUT in my opinion, the local Napa is the hind tit store in a chain of Napa stores owned by same person....
Purchased just to have the presence, not to provide.

/ Shortage or did I get finessed? #10  
Went to rural king and blains farm store today NO rotella full syn.oil to be had..