Shortening folding ROPS on BX24

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #1  

dougtrr2

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX24
On my BX24 I would like to shorten the ROPS by about 3". That would allow me to get in and out of my garage without folding it. To me it looks like all I would have to do is redrill the holes and cut off the excess. (Sounds easy when you say it fast). Has anyone done this? What pitfalls am I missing. I am reletively short 5'5" so the decrease in height wouldn't bother me. What does bother me is when I put it up and forgot to fold it before I went back in; tends to tear up the trim around a garage door.

Thanks
Doug in SW IA

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #2  
I would never do a bonehead thing like forget to lower the ROPS. If I did, however, I imagine it would chip off some paint, stucco, and a little bit of the cement block. Then I would have to patch the damage and repaint the area. Lucky for me that I had, er, have some matching paint.

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #3  
dougtrr2 said:
On my BX24 I would like to shorten the ROPS by about 3". That would allow me to get in and out of my garage without folding it. To me it looks like all I would have to do is redrill the holes and cut off the excess. (Sounds easy when you say it fast). Has anyone done this? What pitfalls am I missing. I am reletively short 5'5" so the decrease in height wouldn't bother me. What does bother me is when I put it up and forgot to fold it before I went back in; tends to tear up the trim around a garage door.

Thanks
Doug in SW IA

Doug you really don't want to modify your ROPS because of liabiliy with Kubota. If you remove the three inches and something happens that causes the ROPS to fail in a roll over and you live to see a court of law, you are looking at a summary judgement Vs a complete settlement (Big Bucks $$$$ ) Every time you have to get off the tractor to fold it, think about the love of your family, they need you around. Do the extra work or build a bigger door is the only way to go for safety sake.

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #4  
Maybe not a cheap alternative but would the Rops off a BX2350 fit...I believe its shorter..

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #5  
I too cannot believe anyone could be so stupid as to hit their garage door frame with the ROPS. I HEARD (from a friend) that it can pull the whole frame down, bend the door, and hit the driver with a 2X6 in the back of the head!!
I, I mean he, was really really P.O.ed at himself for not lowering the ROPS, so much so that he built a new garage with a higher door.

You really should not cut the ROPS off. Forget the potential legal junk..Kubota made it that high for a reason. That reason might be that they own stock in a garage door company!!!

Welcome to the club!!

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #6  
offcamber said:
Maybe not a cheap alternative but would the Rops off a BX2350 fit...I believe its shorter..

Dougtrr2- The ROPS on the BX24 is a little higher when extended for head clearance when the seat is reversed for BH operation. so concider this in your decision.This makes the ROPS over 7' and this I think is the reason for being able to fold, where as the BX2*** w/o the factory BH doesn't fold and is under 7'.

I don't think I would modify it. Try some of the above creative garage mods or over time the habit of lowering will set in. Creative idea, Photo sensor located before garage opening to detect overheight warning light, simular in concept to trucks and bridges.

If for any reason you look at putting on a BX2*** ROPS to replace it, instead of buying new, swap with someone. If your around MI. I might be intrested, as I would like to add on a woods BH.

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #7  
Doug, I have a piece of rope hanging down from my garage entry. It's just long enough to hit me in the face as I enter and reminds me to lower the ROPS.

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #9  
flstnhd said:
Doug, I have a piece of rope hanging down from my garage entry. It's just long enough to hit me in the face as I enter and reminds me to lower the ROPS.

Ring, Ring, Ring

We have a winner.
Great Idea, will do it when I get home.

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #10  
LBrown59 said:
The BX24 ROPS won't fit a BX2350...
? Really? Why would they change the bolt pattern between the two models? Odd...