Should any welder be able to shorten a chain for me? Hoist hand chain too long....

/ Should any welder be able to shorten a chain for me? Hoist hand chain too long.... #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
I bought a perfectly nice little 1 ton chain hoist from HF for only $59 and am very pleased with it. The plan is to use it in the barn to help changing implements. I used it on a 340 lb weight yesterday and could hardly believe how easy and precise it was.

But the hand chain is quite long. It will be difficult to hang the hoist high enough to keep the loop of chain from dragging in the dirt and transporting it up overhead and into the works. I'm pretty sure a temporary link wouldn't fit through the chain pulley, though it might be worth getting one to try.

If that doesn't work, and if I take the hoist to whatever welder I find in the neighborhood, should they be able to splice the loop back together minus a few feet? Or is there a better approach?

Thanks!

/ Should any welder be able to shorten a chain for me? Hoist hand chain too long.... #2  
I would just take a hack saw, cut thru one link and twist it slightly, just enough to remove it from the chain. Remove the excess chain again using the hack saw (a 1/16" thick cut off wheel on a 4.5" grinder would work also) to cut thru a link in the desired location. Use the link removed and fasten the two ends back together making sure the chain is not twisted. Put the two ends together using the twisted link, use two sets of channel locks to twist the link back straight. There really is no need to weld the link back together since there is very little pressure on the pull chain.

/ Should any welder be able to shorten a chain for me? Hoist hand chain too long.... #3  
is there a reason you can't just cut off what you don't want?

/ Should any welder be able to shorten a chain for me? Hoist hand chain too long.... #5  
I got you
I was thinking of a chain come a long
sorry

/ Should any welder be able to shorten a chain for me? Hoist hand chain too long.... #6  
A Sawall or another brand of reciprocating saw, with a "thick metal" or diamond grit blade, cuts chain quickly.

/ Should any welder be able to shorten a chain for me? Hoist hand chain too long.... #7  
I bought a perfectly nice little 1 ton chain hoist from HF for only $59 and am very pleased with it. The plan is to use it in the barn to help changing implements. I used it on a 340 lb weight yesterday and could hardly believe how easy and precise it was.

But the hand chain is quite long. It will be difficult to hang the hoist high enough to keep the loop of chain from dragging in the dirt and transporting it up overhead and into the works. I'm pretty sure a temporary link wouldn't fit through the chain pulley, though it might be worth getting one to try.

If that doesn't work, and if I take the hoist to whatever welder I find in the neighborhood, should they be able to splice the loop back together minus a few feet? Or is there a better approach?

Thanks!

That is precisely what I did with mine. It was an easy TIG weld.

/ Should any welder be able to shorten a chain for me? Hoist hand chain too long....
Thanks! I think I might use Gary Fowler's method, but then ask a welder to weld that cut closed, as k0ua says. Making the job that small might mean they'll do it while I wait and save me a trip.

I don't weld or have a welder. I think about learning and buying one, but probably need a better excuse than this job. I have my irons in enough fires as it is....

/ Should any welder be able to shorten a chain for me? Hoist hand chain too long.... #9  
   / Should any welder be able to shorten a chain for me? Hoist hand chain too long.... #10  
When I purchased my hoist several years ago I had the same issue with the chain too long. If you look at the chain in the loop there may be one that isn't a welded loop, but instead has an open gap that can allow it to be opened to open the loop, and then cut out the section of chain that you don't need to shorten to the correct length and then put the split link back in and straighten it to go through the loop hoist mechanism again.