Should I fear the Tier (IV)?

/ Should I fear the Tier (IV)? #1  

Rowdy Redneck

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST
Hello all, I have a pre-emissions Kioti tractor that I love, primarily because it has been so low maintenance. Now I am looking at bigger compact track loaders to do a bit of cleanup on 84 acres that has been mostly clearcut. I plan on using a bucket, grapple, forks, and possible a mulching head, so I need a pretty powerful machine.

My time on the tractor part of this forum has got me paranoid about all the emissions stuff. I have mostly been looking at pre 2010 machines but most of them seem pretty worn out. Additionally there are just lots more options in the 2014-2016 range. Am I right to want to avoid the newer models due to the emissions stuff or am I being overly paranoid? If it was a tractor I would hold out for an earlier machine, but I'm not sure if the situation is different with these.

Thanks for any thoughts! RR

/ Should I fear the Tier (IV)? #2  
Few seem to have issues with their Tier IV, but you will most likely hear very soon from a couple of members here (non IV owners) their thoughts.

Last edited:
   / Should I fear the Tier (IV)? #3  
Hello all, I have a pre-emissions Kioti tractor that I love, primarily because it has been so low maintenance. Now I am looking at bigger compact track loaders to do a bit of cleanup on 84 acres that has been mostly clearcut. I plan on using a bucket, grapple, forks, and possible a mulching head, so I need a pretty powerful machine.

My time on the tractor part of this forum has got me paranoid about all the emissions stuff. I have mostly been looking at pre 2010 machines but most of them seem pretty worn out. Additionally there are just lots more options in the 2014-2016 range. Am I right to want to avoid the newer models due to the emissions stuff or am I being overly paranoid? If it was a tractor I would hold out for an earlier machine, but I'm not sure if the situation is different with these.

Thanks for any thoughts! RR
I think Tier IV is a horrible concept, that hopefully will be refined, or replaced.
That said:
My neighbor has a CAT compact track loader, and has used it for 1000 trouble free hours so far.
He did tell me that he plans to trade at about 2K hours, because he is concerned about Tier IV as the hours increase.

Last edited:
   / Should I fear the Tier (IV)?
I think Tier IV is a horrible concept, that eventually will be refined.
That said:
My neighbor has a CAT compact track loader, and has used it for 1000 trouble free hours so far.
I agree, I think it is mostly a load of crap to make a certain type of person feel good. Most of the machines I'm looking at, even the newer ones are over 2k hours. I'm not sure if it is one of those things where the issues reveal themselves early on or if they take a while.

Few seem to have issues with Tier IV, but you will most likely hear very soon from a couple of members here (non IV owners) their thoughts.
Where in LA are you? My mother is from Brewton.

/ Should I fear the Tier (IV)? #5  
TierIV is a bunch of BS...but it is what it is.

So if you can find one pre-Tier IV with low hours and in great shape, of course that's the way to go. When I was looking for a newer tractor 3 years ago every used pre-Tier IV tractor I found for sale was a piece of junk, beat to death. So when a practically new Kubota M7060 came up for sale I checked it out despite my doubts about having to put up with the Tier IV crap on the engine. I bought it, and to my relief the Tier IV has been a non-issue. Bought it with 170 hours and it has about 450 hours on it now. If I happen to glance at the dash at the right time I might see the regen light on - and a few minutes later the light goes out. Absolutely no difference in how the tractor runs and no interaction required from me. Owner's manual recommends keeping idling at a minimum so I do keep that in mind.

/ Should I fear the Tier (IV)? #6  
I'm looking at, even the newer ones are over 2k hours. I'm not sure if it is one of those things where the issues reveal themselves early on or if they take a while
I think that depending on how they get to tier 4 I believe is the concern. I think that I've read where some machines with a DPF filter requires an expensive replacement that for some, simply warrants a trade in.

/ Should I fear the Tier (IV)? #7  
Imo if your going to use the skid steer to clean up a clearcut get a bigger wheeled one with steel tracks. I use a 2013 jd 326e a lot with steel tracks no problems with dpf but it definitely does a little worse on fuel consumption compared to a non tier IV 75hp ctl. Driving a ctl in the woods is really hard on dedicated ctls undercarriages and rubber tracks in my experience.

Attachments

• KIMG0214.JPG
    KIMG0214.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 201
   / Should I fear the Tier (IV)? #8  
Every major issue I've had with diesel powered equipment has been emissions related. The DEF head went out on my SVL95 and put the machine into limp mode, the EGR cooler rotted and put coolant into the exhaust on my Volvo excavator, we had an EGR failure on my wife's diesel SUV. I hate the diesel emissions systems.