Should I fill the hydraukic oil tank on a new chipper before storing it for the winter?

/ Should I fill the hydraukic oil tank on a new chipper before storing it for the winter? #1  

SylvainG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
So I bought a new PTO chipper that feeds hydraulically using its own tank and pump driven by the PTO. I bought it now although I won't use it until spring because it often goes out of stock. It doesn't come with its hydraulic tank filled. Is it safe to leave it like that for the winter, under a tarp (will be covered by snow soon) or should I fill it now and run the hydraulic to coat everything in oil?

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Should I fill the hydraukic oil tank on a new chipper before storing it for the winter? #2  
Personally i would fill it and lube everything up.

/ Should I fill the hydraukic oil tank on a new chipper before storing it for the winter? #3  
Fill it. Lube it (coating of, at least, lanolin lubricant). Run it. Then put it to bed for the Spring.

You've invested good money in this acquisition. Prep it.

/ Should I fill the hydraukic oil tank on a new chipper before storing it for the winter? #4  
For sure. Fill the tank - run it - top it off - lube everything. An empty tank collects moisture and - come spring - will push this moisture( now water ) throughout the system. Moisture will cause rust - hydraulic oil - not so.

/ Should I fill the hydraukic oil tank on a new chipper before storing it for the winter? #5  
Fill it until it overflows, and drain some off in the spring before you start using it. Every time it thermal cycles, the air volume expands and contracts, pulling in new moist air. The less air volume you have the less air cycling, and the less moisture you end up with condensing in the tank.

/ Should I fill the hydraukic oil tank on a new chipper before storing it for the winter? #6  
Echoing all of the advice above....top all fluids off, including fuel.

/ Should I fill the hydraukic oil tank on a new chipper before storing it for the winter?
Thanks all. I'll go buy some hydraulic fluid. Wasn't expected it to be delivered so soon so I was caught unprepared lol.

/ Should I fill the hydraukic oil tank on a new chipper before storing it for the winter? #8  
I'd probably call Woodland Mills for advice as well.....or send an e-mail question. They have good customer service in my experience.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Should I fill the hydraukic oil tank on a new chipper before storing it for the winter?
Yeah, did that yesterday as well but also here because I had a feeling I would get an answer fast here

They replied

---------
Yes, do not leave the tank empty.

It is best to make sure everything is coated.

The tank will get rusted.
---------

So, either I overfill the tank to get all sides coated, turn the PTO by hand to bring oil to every parts, or, I unmount the blower, mount the chipper and drive the tractor to splash the oil in the tank, cut and install the PTO shaft and get the PTO going to oil every thing. Outside temperature will dictate which route I'll take I guess...