Should I paint my used utility trailer??

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 1016, FEL, 60"MMM
I just bought a 5x10 utility trailer for $500, it really needs a coat of paint on it, I know its silly to paint it cause I will be hauling dirt, brush and who knows what else on it but I want it to look nice but don't want to spend a ton of money on it. If I just use a wire drill brush on it then repaint it with Rustoleum gloss black will that hold or do I need to primer it first? My buddy told me he wouldn't waste his time to paint if cause it will flake off, what's everyone's thoughts on painting? I just bought 2 brand new tires and white spoke wheels so thought they might look funny if I don't paint it too.

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
If you aren't willing to invest the time to clean off all the old rust and put on a good primer, then forget the paint. Your buddy is right, it will just flake off if not properly prepared.
If you really want it to look good, have it abrasive blasted and then paint it including underneath.

I hate to be bearer of bad news but aside from the paint, I think you paid way too much for a used 5x10 trailer in need of paint AND new tires and rims. That is about half the cost of a brand new one with new tires. With 2 new tires @ $100 each +or- + the rim cost (assuming good trailer tires) You already have about the cost of a new trailer invested without adding paint to it.

OP
denverdave66

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
2 new 6 ply tires I bought today with rims was only $125. The tires had over 1/2 the tread but I wanted a spare and at that price I just bought 2.

Stimw

Elite Member
I pressure washed this one and then brushed on a coat of Rustoleum.
Then I rolled a coat of used motor oil on the deck boards.
People keep asking me if I want to sell it. ?????

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 2,229

OP
denverdave66

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
I will prolly not mess with the paint, I only have $625 in it now. I looked at new ones and they wanted at least $1,000 or more for a new one. I won't be using it that much I have a brand new 16' tandem axle brakes on both axles Doolittle trailer I use too.

OP
denverdave66

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
Stimw, that looks good, you only power washed it? No primer or metal brush? So tell me why you put used motor oil on the boards? Never heard of that.

Looking4new

Tractor
2012 Kioti CK27HST w/cab
If you wire brush it, then put primer on and then the rust paint. I wouldn't go with a gloss paint as it will show any little imperfection. Just a regular flat paint will do.

deerseeker001

Tractor
International 2500a with Loader
I have to agree with the flat paint.
If you wire brush it, then put primer on and then the rust paint. I wouldn't go with a gloss paint as it will show any little imperfection. Just a regular flat paint will do.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
If you aren't willing to invest the time to clean off all the old rust and put on a good primer, then forget the paint. Your buddy is right, it will just flake off if not properly prepared.
If you really want it to look good, have it abrasive blasted and then paint it including underneath.

I hate to be bearer of bad news but aside from the paint, I think you paid way too much for a used 5x10 trailer in need of paint AND new tires and rims. That is about half the cost of a brand new one with new tires. With 2 new tires @ $100 each +or- + the rim cost (assuming good trailer tires) You already have about the cost of a new trailer invested without adding paint to it.
Gary is spot on with the sand blasting. No question the best way to prep it to get high surface energy for adhesion, then prime and paint.

lutt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota ZG 22, John Deere 4200 4wd/ 420 loader, 4 wd,08 polaris 700 ranger crew
Sand blasting is no doubt the best. You can also get a wire wheel for your angle grinder, wire wheel it, then use rust oleum in the hammer tone. It will cover up the imperfections. LUTT

chad22

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sears Garden Tractor
So tell me why you put used motor oil on the boards? Never heard of that.

I did the same on my trailer boards when I converted my old fifth wheel camper to bumper pull utility trailer.

I coated the boards with old oil to protect them from rotting so easily and warping from the rain. Not sure if it works but I had the motor oil so I poured it on and took a paint roller and rolled it into the boards.

It was a good way to dispose of the motor oil.

Chad

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
I would sand and wire wheel all the rust and paint flaking areas, prime it, and then paint it. Rustoleum makes a rusty metal primer. If you are going to use spray cans the Rustoleum professional is worth the extra money.
I used Rustoleum on this trailer, semi gloss black.

Grab a couple cans of rustoleum silver wheel paint and clear coat and do the wheels. It makes them look nice.

Stimw

Elite Member
Stimw, that looks good, you only power washed it? No primer or metal brush? So tell me why you put used motor oil on the boards? Never heard of that.

The boards were looking weathered and the oil soaked in and made them look fresh again. The Florida sun will take it's toll on deck boards.
I hauled a couple 1000lb machines on it yesterday and the oil was soaked in so it wasn't slippery.

I bought a gallon of Rustoleum at Lowes a month ago for under $30. for another build that I was doing. see pic

Attachments

• SAW MILL 019.jpg
    SAW MILL 019.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 336
  • SAW MILL 024.jpg
    SAW MILL 024.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 305

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
The boards were looking weathered and the oil soaked in and made them look fresh again. The Florida sun will take it's toll on deck boards.
I hauled a couple 1000lb machines on it yesterday and the oil was soaked in so it wasn't slippery.

I bought a gallon of Rustoleum at Lowes a month ago for under $30. for another build that I was doing. see pic

Aren't you supposed to mix in some diesel with the oil so it will soak in?

OP
denverdave66

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
Sanded my trailer with a wire wheel brush today, Sunday I am going to powerwash it and get all the dust and stuff off. What should I do after that? Should I wipe it down with Mineral spirits or something else before I paint it. I think I am going to take Lutt's advice and use Rustoleum hammertone paint I saw on the can you don't have to paint with primer first.

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
2 new 6 ply tires I bought today with rims was only $125. The tires had over 1/2 the tread but I wanted a spare and at that price I just bought 2.
If they are not too old (over 5 years) I would say you got a good deal. I had a flat on one of my trailer tires and ruined the tire before I realized it was flat. It was 16" load range E tire and cost me $180 for a replacement mounted and balanced that matched my OEM tires but my trailer is rated @ 6000# per axle.

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
Sanded my trailer with a wire wheel brush today, Sunday I am going to powerwash it and get all the dust and stuff off. What should I do after that? Should I wipe it down with Mineral spirits or something else before I paint it. I think I am going to take Lutt's advice and use Rustoleum hammertone paint I saw on the can you don't have to paint with primer first.

Brake clean would be good to wipe it down with.

I you don't have to prime with most Rustoleum paint. The hammerton looks nice and will hide small imperfections like rust pits.

OP
denverdave66

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
I am glad I took everyone's advice, I wired wheeled it then powerwashed it, then wiped it down with brake cleaner, then bought rustoleum rusty metal and primered it then I am in the process of painting it with Rustoleum hammered black. It looks awesome! I am sure some of you guys will disagree but for a 1st time project think it looks good. Now for another question I am putting 2' boards all the way around should I paint them or just leave them as is, they are cheap enough so in 5 years if they are rotted out I can replace them. I am going to buy 1/2" treated plywood to put over top the boards makes shoveling dirt out easier.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
I am glad I took everyone's advice, I wired wheeled it then powerwashed it, then wiped it down with brake cleaner, then bought rustoleum rusty metal and primered it then I am in the process of painting it with Rustoleum hammered black. It looks awesome! I am sure some of you guys will disagree but for a 1st time project think it looks good. Now for another question I am putting 2' boards all the way around should I paint them or just leave them as is, they are cheap enough so in 5 years if they are rotted out I can replace them. I am going to buy 1/2" treated plywood to put over top the boards makes shoveling dirt out easier.
Did I miss the pictures? Let us be the judge. :D Not sure I fully understand your board issue but if you are using PT I don't think I would bother painting/staining.

OP
denverdave66

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
I will post pics when I am done.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
I will post pics when I am done.
Ahhh... okay! Sounds like you are doing a first rate job. Always feels good afterward when you don't cut corners. Impatience is something I have to wrestle with often when just wanting to get things done.

lutt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota ZG 22, John Deere 4200 4wd/ 420 loader, 4 wd,08 polaris 700 ranger crew
Good deal, I love hammer tone in rust oleum. Look forward to seeing the pics! The way you done it, it will be super durable. LUTT

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

OP
denverdave66

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
Finally got my trailer all finished I also put new lights and rewired it too. Here is the before and after shots.039.jpg039.jpg

OP
denverdave66

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
Finally got my trailer all finished I also put new lights and rewired it too. Here is the before and after shots.010.jpg039.jpg

OP
denverdave66

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
So after fixing up my trailer I ended up selling it Monday for what I had in it $725! I ordered a brand new Doolittle rally sport with a 3000 pound axle. Yeah, my wife thinks I am nuts too. So I am going to build some 2' sides on this trailer, should I just buy 5/8" OSB and paint it, that is the cheapest way to go or buy 5/8" plywood and paint it or 5/8" CCA treated plywood and paint it. I am going to paint whatever I build to match the trailer. Whats your thoughts.

breadtrk

Platinum Member
Tractor
XR 3037 HST Cab
PT 2x material for the floor

PT 2x material for sides frames

PT 4/5 deck boards for sides

Build it that way and it may outlive you.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
PT 2x material for the floor

PT 2x material for sides frames

PT 4/5 deck boards for sides

Build it that way and it may outlive you.
Or at least until you sell it... of course if that's the case, then you might as well use OSB since it will last a week in your hands. :laughing:

RoMad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710
I agree with your wife. Just kidding, if you finish something and it isn't what you want you might as well sell it and get what you want. You learned a lot with your trailer project so it was time well spent. As for your next trailer why don't you get one with expanded metal sides. They are easy to maintain, hold anything but sand, and look good.
I built my 5X10 in 1987 with OSB sides and they lasted about 5 years. I replaced the OSB with expanded metal and it still looks good today.

OP
denverdave66

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
Yes, I learned a lot plus I had fun doing it and got me out of the house with my 2 kids and 3 foster kids. I prolly just go with treated plywood and paint it I think. I already ordered my trailer hope it comes in next week. I am going to attach the plywood with u-bolts so it would be easy to replace.

genieellis

Tractor
Eicher
According to me, you can use PVC wood grain coating on it, which is thicker than paint and also last longer. Moreover, it is available at a cheaper rate.