Should I paint my used utility trailer??

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #11  
So tell me why you put used motor oil on the boards? Never heard of that.

I did the same on my trailer boards when I converted my old fifth wheel camper to bumper pull utility trailer.

I coated the boards with old oil to protect them from rotting so easily and warping from the rain. Not sure if it works but I had the motor oil so I poured it on and took a paint roller and rolled it into the boards.

It was a good way to dispose of the motor oil.

Chad

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #12  
I would sand and wire wheel all the rust and paint flaking areas, prime it, and then paint it. Rustoleum makes a rusty metal primer. If you are going to use spray cans the Rustoleum professional is worth the extra money.
I used Rustoleum on this trailer, semi gloss black.

Grab a couple cans of rustoleum silver wheel paint and clear coat and do the wheels. It makes them look nice.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #13  
Stimw, that looks good, you only power washed it? No primer or metal brush? So tell me why you put used motor oil on the boards? Never heard of that.

The boards were looking weathered and the oil soaked in and made them look fresh again. The Florida sun will take it's toll on deck boards.
I hauled a couple 1000lb machines on it yesterday and the oil was soaked in so it wasn't slippery.

I bought a gallon of Rustoleum at Lowes a month ago for under $30. for another build that I was doing. see pic

Attachments

• SAW MILL 019.jpg
    SAW MILL 019.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 379
  • SAW MILL 024.jpg
    SAW MILL 024.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 332
   / Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #14  
The boards were looking weathered and the oil soaked in and made them look fresh again. The Florida sun will take it's toll on deck boards.
I hauled a couple 1000lb machines on it yesterday and the oil was soaked in so it wasn't slippery.

I bought a gallon of Rustoleum at Lowes a month ago for under $30. for another build that I was doing. see pic

Aren't you supposed to mix in some diesel with the oil so it will soak in?

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer??
Sanded my trailer with a wire wheel brush today, Sunday I am going to powerwash it and get all the dust and stuff off. What should I do after that? Should I wipe it down with Mineral spirits or something else before I paint it. I think I am going to take Lutt's advice and use Rustoleum hammertone paint I saw on the can you don't have to paint with primer first.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #17  
2 new 6 ply tires I bought today with rims was only $125. The tires had over 1/2 the tread but I wanted a spare and at that price I just bought 2.
If they are not too old (over 5 years) I would say you got a good deal. I had a flat on one of my trailer tires and ruined the tire before I realized it was flat. It was 16" load range E tire and cost me $180 for a replacement mounted and balanced that matched my OEM tires but my trailer is rated @ 6000# per axle.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #18  
Sanded my trailer with a wire wheel brush today, Sunday I am going to powerwash it and get all the dust and stuff off. What should I do after that? Should I wipe it down with Mineral spirits or something else before I paint it. I think I am going to take Lutt's advice and use Rustoleum hammertone paint I saw on the can you don't have to paint with primer first.

Brake clean would be good to wipe it down with.

I you don't have to prime with most Rustoleum paint. The hammerton looks nice and will hide small imperfections like rust pits.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer??
I am glad I took everyone's advice, I wired wheeled it then powerwashed it, then wiped it down with brake cleaner, then bought rustoleum rusty metal and primered it then I am in the process of painting it with Rustoleum hammered black. It looks awesome! I am sure some of you guys will disagree but for a 1st time project think it looks good. Now for another question I am putting 2' boards all the way around should I paint them or just leave them as is, they are cheap enough so in 5 years if they are rotted out I can replace them. I am going to buy 1/2" treated plywood to put over top the boards makes shoveling dirt out easier.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #20  
I am glad I took everyone's advice, I wired wheeled it then powerwashed it, then wiped it down with brake cleaner, then bought rustoleum rusty metal and primered it then I am in the process of painting it with Rustoleum hammered black. It looks awesome! I am sure some of you guys will disagree but for a 1st time project think it looks good. Now for another question I am putting 2' boards all the way around should I paint them or just leave them as is, they are cheap enough so in 5 years if they are rotted out I can replace them. I am going to buy 1/2" treated plywood to put over top the boards makes shoveling dirt out easier.
Did I miss the pictures? Let us be the judge. :D Not sure I fully understand your board issue but if you are using PT I don't think I would bother painting/staining.