Show Me Your Buddy Seat

/ Show Me Your Buddy Seat #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
I really hope I don't need a new tractor.

I have a compact tractor, the LS XR4145 cab version. Its the same as the New Holland Boomer 40/41 cab. I also have a 3-year-old son. My son absolutely loves riding with Daddy as we do projects around the place. He used to love sitting on my lap, but he is getting bigger and sitting on my lap is extremely uncomfortable for the both of us. Now, he opts to share the seat next to me. Regrettably, on more and more occasions, I have to tell my little man that I need him to watch Daddy from the sidelines while I get work done. It breaks my heart (and his) to tell him he can't go.

There simply is not enough room inside my tractor for the both of us.

I grew up on the farm where we had open station tractors with large flat fenders that made a great place to store a child. Extremely hot in the summer, cold in the winter, uncomfortable, and slightly dangerous. But I never cared, because I was going. Our cab tractors were larger, and if they didn't have a buddy seat, you could always find someplace to sit down for the hours of work.

I believe that having your children come along builds many things together. I get the opportunity to bond more with my child, sharing a passion we both have. When he gets a bit older, I will get the amazing opportunity to teach him how to operate the tractors safely and successfully. He gets to get out of the house and learns what work is, and spends time doing something he enjoys rather than sitting inside staring out the window at me.

I know LS makes a buddy seat for their larger tractors, that bolts right in. But I'm not sure that would work in my cab?

Here are my three options:

1) Continue to allow him to come along, sharing the seat until he is too big and I have to kick him off. Not ideal.

2) Sell this tractor (that fits my needs perfectly) for one that can accommodate us both.

3) Find a way to get both of us in that cab semi-comfortable.

I prefer option 3.

That leads me to ask you this: What does your buddy seat situation look like? How do you bring along your child? Where do you sit (or stand) while teaching your child how to operate?

Thanks!

/ Show Me Your Buddy Seat #2  
Here is what the buddy seat looks like in my WM75. When folded down it has an extension on the right side that folds down to make it a few inches wider. It is OK for a child, it doesn't do well with adults.

1668448376623.jpeg

/ Show Me Your Buddy Seat #3  
That jump seat is wonderful and would be ideal. On my B2650, my 44 pound, six year old son, sits on my lap, with his legs between mine, or he actually stands on the hump in the middle, again between my legs, so he can't go off either side. With the tilt steering, it makes it easier to find a better position for the both of us.

I do agree though, that doing projects with them on the tractor is memories that they will never forget.

/ Show Me Your Buddy Seat #4  
I cringe thinking about this. This may not be a popular answer. I don't like the 3 options.

I understand the desire and the goal, i just think that there aren't really any good, safe options. You need to be able to have full control of a tractor. Tipping hazards, controls, braking ... are my big concern with this. The tractor is a machine, not a child-sitter. The problem increases as he gets to be a bigger boy.

When i was a kid, i remember riding on the tractor fender while my cousin operated the tractor (very dangerous), I eventually started learning how to operate the tractor, and / or ride on mower. I grew up around farmers, and I know the stories. Farming accidents happen, don't increase the odds please.

I hate to be the grinch, but on a compact tractor, I don't think that i would risk it at all, they are tippy enough. IMO better to have a lawn tractor with your son riding securely in the yard cart, as he tags along. My suggestion is to keep work / play separate - go to a tractor dealership and buy a pedal tractor for your son, and perhaps some die-cast toys. Then enjoy the time together.

not the answer you wanted, I realize that. All the best.

/ Show Me Your Buddy Seat #5  
Over the Christmas holidays I began pondering making a buddy seat in my Deere 4066R. I had seen one on an earlier post (I think it was by "bavarian", but I couldn't find that thread again). I thought I would give it a go! I started with some 3/4" square tubing and began fitting it in place, securing it with the two existing threaded holes in the left rear ROPS. I'm not much of an upholstery guy......they don't ask me to wrap Christmas gifts here either. I haven't had the chance to try it with the granddaughter, but it looks pretty sweet. The 5-point seat belt was bought on Amazon and is secured to the square tubing. I'm a fairly big guy, but I can handle the little bit of restriction this gives me.

Attachments

• Ubk372OyQJqUurbW6bHDxQ.jpg
    Ubk372OyQJqUurbW6bHDxQ.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
  • mZniDJ+rTaOIzfZ3KebX%w.jpg
    mZniDJ+rTaOIzfZ3KebX%w.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
  • FjPK9KSyQoCatSPkVjzz0w.jpg
    FjPK9KSyQoCatSPkVjzz0w.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
  • qk7EQDnoRWq0PoVJVgEKnw.jpg
    qk7EQDnoRWq0PoVJVgEKnw.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
   / Show Me Your Buddy Seat
Over the Christmas holidays I began pondering making a buddy seat in my Deere 4066R. I had seen one on an earlier post (I think it was by "bavarian", but I couldn't find that thread again). I thought I would give it a go! I started with some 3/4" square tubing and began fitting it in place, securing it with the two existing threaded holes in the left rear ROPS. I'm not much of an upholstery guy......they don't ask me to wrap Christmas gifts here either. I haven't had the chance to try it with the granddaughter, but it looks pretty sweet. The 5-point seat belt was bought on Amazon and is secured to the square tubing. I'm a fairly big guy, but I can handle the little bit of restriction this gives me.
This is fantastic!! Great job! (y)

Did you make it semi-quick install? If it's secured into threaded holes, might be a good idea to use thumb screws to secure it. That way when the kid isn't riding, you can easily and quickly remove it, to win back that precious space and visibility.

/ Show Me Your Buddy Seat #7  
This is fantastic!! Great job! (y)

Did you make it semi-quick install? If it's secured into threaded holes, might be a good idea to use thumb screws to secure it. That way when the kid isn't riding, you can easily and quickly remove it, to win back that precious space and visibility.
I only have the two 10mm bolts to remove, so their isn't too much effort to install or remove.

/ Show Me Your Buddy Seat #8  
I cringe thinking about this. This may not be a popular answer. I don't like the 3 options.

I understand the desire and the goal, i just think that there aren't really any good, safe options. You need to be able to have full control of a tractor. Tipping hazards, controls, braking ... are my big concern with this. The tractor is a machine, not a child-sitter. The problem increases as he gets to be a bigger boy.

When i was a kid, i remember riding on the tractor fender while my cousin operated the tractor (very dangerous), I eventually started learning how to operate the tractor, and / or ride on mower. I grew up around farmers, and I know the stories. Farming accidents happen, don't increase the odds please.

I hate to be the grinch, but on a compact tractor, I don't think that i would risk it at all, they are tippy enough. IMO better to have a lawn tractor with your son riding securely in the yard cart, as he tags along. My suggestion is to keep work / play separate - go to a tractor dealership and buy a pedal tractor for your son, and perhaps some die-cast toys. Then enjoy the time together.

not the answer you wanted, I realize that. All the best.
Wow, perfect username.