Side hydraulic brush cutter

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #1  

vortechf150

Tractor
2018 Mahindra 4550
Has anyone built one? Kind of like a limb ninja, but I would rather build one, cheaper, and have a brush cutter already to use. Running with a hydraulic motor, has anyone done this, cutting fence rows of overgrowth, vertical cutter, but the ability to angle it to mow a ditch line. Mainly need to figure out the motor size, any pulleys or direct drive. Tractor is a Mahindra 4550.

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #4  
Its quite likely your hydraulic motor while need a special pump. Nonetheless, its a neat project.

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #5  
Hi,

You ask if anyone has built a side arm / boom mower for either hedge or bank cutting - I did this and fitted it to a 3 pt hitch with extra stabilisers to the safety frame.
Has a commercial flail head (800mm wide) - can go upto around 10ft + and extend over a 4ft high hedge to badger off most of the other side.
Works on a 26hp Italian based machine- usues seperate hyrdo pump on pto. Can be swung round and has a hydro breakaway (by default) set by tractors own hydraulic pressure relief as use that for swing. All other up down in out and head curl is via the hydro circuit driven of the pto pump along with flail head motor.

Works ok on hedges {hawthorn}(but not heavy stems (> 1.5") trims laurel hedges and small ornemental type plants - can also nip of odd small low tree bits. Ok on Grass but can clog easily, direction of rotation of flail has to be swapped for grass cutting.

It works well and does save a lot of tidying up and carting cuttings to a bonfire.

Took a few years to assemble from scratch - had hydro tank welded up but rest of it built in the workshop.

One feature I built in is the ability to remove the boom arm from the main assembly and fit a pair of reel mowers (aka golf fairway mowers - which they were) onto another boom which can be extended out /up down and to the side. Same arm can have a hydro rotary brush fitted to clear debris on hard surfaces or fine lawn.

So not just a hedge cutter but multifunctional.

Before anyone asks I do not have any photo's of the machine - we are not supposed to cut hedges until September by law here in UK. When M/c back on tractor i can do some photos.

As to cost ? Whole lot as 3 machines - hedge / grass flail cutter, reel mowers and hhdro rotary brush probably around 」1500

Regards John

Last edited:
   / Side hydraulic brush cutter #6  
I have a question that will not be helpful at all but I am curious. Why can't you cut hedges until September ?

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #7  
This is a flail;
mower 13.jpg mower 11.jpg
you can get a lighter version with a sickle bar or heavier with a rotary type.

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #8  
I built this a few years ago. Works great. Uses 10" saw blades. Hydraulic motor turns the first sprocket, then each shaft feeds the following one. Screenshot_20200812-192525_Photos.jpg

/ Side hydraulic brush cutter #9