simplicity regent 14hp 1692354 PTO clutch assbly

/ simplicity regent 14hp 1692354 PTO clutch assbly #1  

overhaulin65

Tractor
regent 1692354
I have a Simplicity 14hp. I bought it for $100.00. PTO clutch had the wires ripped out. I wired everything up and stopped there as I noticed nothing was keeping it stationary when engaged.
I watched a u tube video that showed a rod coming down into a slot on the clutch so when it gets engaged it won't spin. I don't see a rod or a way to hold it stationary.
I'm confused!
Does anyone understand what I'm asking? please help if you do.
The mower runs great and is super clean. Just the PTO clutch issue I'm not understanding.

/ simplicity regent 14hp 1692354 PTO clutch assbly #2  
Should be something mounted off the motor or frame to keep the clutch from turning. That's probably why your wires were ripped out. If you look at your clutch you should see a slot or hole where it should've went thru.

/ simplicity regent 14hp 1692354 PTO clutch assbly #3  
Though not the same as yours this will give you an idea of what it might look like.
IMG_20180505_191039.jpg

/ simplicity regent 14hp 1692354 PTO clutch assbly
Should be something mounted off the motor or frame to keep the clutch from turning. That's probably why your wires were ripped out. If you look at your clutch you should see a slot or hole where it should've went thru.

I have a couple pics here. I agree It should have a rod or something coming down into one of these slots on mine. Just can't figure it out as I don't see one. Nothing even indicates one ever did which really confuses me. Here are a couple pics

PTO clutch_resized[1810].jpgPTO clutch1 resized[1811].jpg

/ simplicity regent 14hp 1692354 PTO clutch assbly #5  
Check this forum out. You might find a manual or a pdf file.
Allis Chalmers - GTtalk

I guess allis and simplicity were kinda one and the same.

/ simplicity regent 14hp 1692354 PTO clutch assbly #8  
No matter which model I look up , Like the one below appears more like your picture , There are no other listed parts that show " Locking " the clutch in place .
If it is similar to a electric clutch on a A.C. compressor , like my semi , It spins freely until electricity is applied , then it " Locks up " . Appears that it is bolted to the bottom pulley that is Keyed to the shaft .

second.png

Fred H.

FredH,

Thank you for the help. I think I figured out what's happening. Clutch works fine when the engine is running. If I shut of the PTO clutch before shutting off the engine it shuts down fine. If I shut the engine off before the PTO clutch it releases and pulls the wires out. Fortunately this time it only pulled the wires off at the plug sockets and all I had to do was plug the harness back in. Strange there is no stop rod in the slots on the PTO clutch to avoid this from happening. I may have to rig something up.

I'm still confused why pto clutch releases when when the motor gets shut off and pull the wires. is the polarity reversed somewhere? Interesting.