Sit in bathtub/shower?

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Have someone coming to look at our basement bathroom for my father to install a sit in bathtub shower.

Anyone have one? How do you like it?

My dad is pushing 91 and he's been slowing down (we have an appointment with the VA because it's more his breathing than his back lately).

If my dad doesn't have it, he doesn't need it. He says no to spending money on renovating a shower, which I figured would happen.

That said, my FIL died this past January, and my wife took her fathers shower seat for my dad, and my dad loves it as he dosen't have to stand to take a shower depending on how he's feeling.

We figure if he could actually sit instead of lay down for a bath he'd love it. That said, per the sales phone call, they were already asking if me and my wife (homeowners) would be home as well as offering discounts over the phone which scares the heck out of me to prepare for a sticker shock.

We will never buy "on the spot", and I'll check around. Just curious as to if anyone here went through this route and what your experiences were?

Thanks!

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #2  
After my wife had a stroke in 2009 ( And she is FULLY RECOVERED) we were told she needed to sit in the shower.
I "installed" a seat and a grab bar:
A plastic patio chair
Grab bar

I think they cost about $15 total.

But the price has skyrocketed over the years and the chairs are now $15.
I've also put the chair in the tub.
/edit - What's wrong with the hand me down?
Or do you want one of those "tanks" with doors?

Last edited:
   / Sit in bathtub/shower? #3  
Exactly what I did for my wife who just had a knee replacement. She can sit in the shower and bathe. Much cheaper than one of those sit in tub/shower setups. What bothers me about them is the door seal and pending leaks.

I know 20 bucks for a resin chair was a lot less than a sit in tub/shower.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #4  
My 92 year old FIL just moved in with us last week. I have to figure something out for his tub as well. Right now I have a chair that goes over the rail he can slide into the tub on. I will be following this thread so please keep us updated.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
I know 20 bucks for a resin chair was a lot less than a sit in tub/shower.
No offense, but no shiesa sherlock. Somehow that thought already occured to me,

What's in there now...

FREE.png

I did you guys all one better since my FIL died and it was FREE.

I apologize, but I thought I had mentioned that in the original post.

Last edited:
   / Sit in bathtub/shower?
My 92 year old FIL just moved in with us last week. I have to figure something out for his tub as well. Right now I have a chair that goes over the rail he can slide into the tub on. I will be following this thread so please keep us updated.
I've got one guy coming Weds and another company Saturday. I called the second company because I'll never go with just one quote and buy on the spot. I talked with a plumbing buddie, but he's never done them and has no clue. I'll let you know of my experiences. Right now, the first company just over the phone seemed like a harder sell over the phone than the second company.

Something completely new to me.

Like I said, if he don't owns it, he don't need it LOL

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #7  
Like I said, I was concerned about the door seal and if you use it as a rub, I imagine you have to completely drain it to get out (open the door). For us, a lawn chair worked just fine.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #8  
No offense, but no shiesa sherlock. Somehow that thought already occured to me,

What's in there now...

View attachment 703226
I did you guys all one better since my FIL died and it was FREE.

I apologize, but I thought I had mentioned that in the original post.
Me thinks you'll have sticker shock but I'm sure you'll tell us.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #9  
(we have an appointment with the VA because it's more his breathing than his back lately).
Check with them. They have programs.

USDA Rural Development also has a grants/loans program for eligible seniors some might want to look at even if the OP doesn't qualify:

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
Like I said, I was concerned about the door seal and if you use it as a rub, I imagine you have to completely drain it to get out (open the door). For us, a lawn chair worked just fine.
I understand about the issues of draining the tub before you can open the door to walk out. Don't think my father is in a hurry.