Sit in bathtub/shower?

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
They can also help getting needed equipment, like lift belts, and teaching their proper use for everyone's safety.
Sooner or later, we will have to deal with the stairs since he lives in the basement. Not something I'm looking forward to, but after seeing my dad fall in the bathroom, it's coming.

My Uncle was 95 when he took a header down stairs. Knew it was only a matter of time, but being that he was never married, nor having any children, no one was going to get him out of HIS house.

Now my cousin is basically handling all his affairs as he was finally put into assisted living. She tells me he (my uncle) has her on speed dial and every complaint he has, he makes sure to bring it to her attention (on a somewhat regular basis).

This sounds bad, but there is something to be said for going out quick when you can still take care of yourself.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #53  
Late to the discussion, but for others in this situation that can do the following: When we build our retirement home in '18, we put in a sunken shower floor in the master bath. ie, the shower floor is level with the rest of the bath floor. Nothing to step over, could roll a wheeel chair into the shower directly and transfer to chair or stand up. Grap rails in the future if needed. Stairwell to basement is 4ft wide to allow for stair chair and still have decent walking space around it. Trying to renovate an existing homemcould be costly, though. These were realized from talking with older people that needed help. Everything for us in the future is on the main floor, walkout basement is for additional bedrooms, guest, craft areas, etc. Jon

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
Late to the discussion, but for others in this situation that can do the following: When we build our retirement home in '18, we put in a sunken shower floor in the master bath. ie, the shower floor is level with the rest of the bath floor. Nothing to step over, could roll a wheeel chair into the shower directly and transfer to chair or stand up. Grap rails in the future if needed. Stairwell to basement is 4ft wide to allow for stair chair and still have decent walking space around it. Trying to renovate an existing homemcould be costly, though. These were realized from talking with older people that needed help. Everything for us in the future is on the main floor, walkout basement is for additional bedrooms, guest, craft areas, etc. Jon
Thank you for the feedback. VERY good suggestions IMO.

Reminds me of the expression that "hindsight is the perfect science" on our own end though.

18 or so years ago, our newly bought 3 level home with walk out basement seemed like the perfect fit for my wife and myself, with the intent that my father could live in the furnished basement (my mom had died before I ever met my future wife) added the extra bedrooms and 2 full baths on the 3rd floor. Keep in mind, this was the first house I ever bought, and my wife and I fell in love with the land first, the house second, but the house had plenty of space.

Only took my dad 15 years to finally decide to move in with us after we bought the house. If my dad goes, there is a good chance my MIL will come to stay with us and take over the basement.

When my boys ever decide to build, my feedback will to keep the square footage where you want for space, but to keep it a single level home only.

Issue we now have is first floor is where we keep our office, would make a small bedroom, and only have a 1/2 bath on the first floor. Have cathedral ceilings on the first floor, could make extra room on the 3rd floor by remodeling, but the HVAC would be a major headache to gain an extra room on the third floor.

Way around that would be to redo the garage for a small living area (thanks to Eddie Walker for that suggestion when we were looking at building on our property for my MIL) and that is still on the table down the road.

I do know when we finally move, it will be a single story house.

With my father on in the basement and us on the 3rd floor, we just picked up a cheap "alarm" system so if by chance my dad needs help in the basement, he hits a button (he has 2) and we're alerted on the first and third floor. Seems my dad is just a little leary by himself where we can't really hear him on the 3rd floor. I consider the furnished basement as the second floor if my terminology is confusing anyone.

Anyway you cut it, be it basement or 3rd floor where the bedrooms are located, you have stairs to deal with.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #55  
Remember, though, single story houses are the most expensive to build. More exterior walls, more roofing, usually longer trusses, rafters, etc... also takes more wire, longer plumbing runs, more insulation, etc.

Multi-story is less expensive to build, however, you've already listed some cons.

If I were to build, I'd build a walk-out basement, and 2 stories. And I'd include an elevator shaft that could be extra closet space if it's never used. And provisions for a nice, sloped ramp around the side to be able to move furniture, appliances, and wheelchairs from 1st floor to basement in nice weather until the elevator is installed. You could get away with about a 5x5 shaft for wheelchairs, so 25 square feet per floor, and only 125 square feet total reserved for future.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #56  
Our master bath shower has a seat in the corner of the shower away from the shower head. Also a grab rail. I use both and put down a mat because the bottom is very slippery, especially with neuropathy in my feet.

In the summer, we both shower outside though. Could use my chair cane in it, but I don't.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #57  
True on the more expense of the single story cost. But you set the main floor up with everything you need want, and have a lower walk out basement. First floor has master bedroom suite and maybe a small office that could be a bedroom if needed. Walk out basement has the extra bedrooms, craft/sewing rooms etc. Not sure of the cost of stair chairs vs elevators. But either way would give access to the basement if needed. Also our stairs are opposite the double doors into the respective floors. Double doors allow for easy access with wheel chairs and bringing large items into the floors. Jon

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
When we retire and get old to the point stairs become a issue, I pray that a single level house will suffice size wise for the two of us (with a spare bedroom of course). The idea when we're old isn't to have the kids move in with us 😁

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #59  
When we retire and get old to the point stairs become a issue, I pray that a single level house will suffice size wise for the two of us (with a spare bedroom of course). The idea when we're old isn't to have the kids move in with us 😁
I spit my drink!!!

🤣

In all seriousness, our first house was 720 sq ft. 2bdrm, 1 bath, living room, eat in kitchen with seating for 4. Full empty basement. It was perfect for a young couple starting out, and it would be perfect for an old couple to croak in. ;)

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #60  
The extra bedroom would be if outside help had to stay overnight to help with daily needs. Jon