Sit in bathtub/shower?

/ Sit in bathtub/shower?
I really appreciate all the info you've posted on this project, concerning your father and all. It's helping guide me in any future bath remodel decisions. I know I want a seat bench in a shower when I'm older. Still not sure about a tub, though. Never been one to soak. I do swim, though, so one of those small pools with the jets might be in my future.
It's sinerely been a learning experience for myself as well.

Wasn't much of a project as I paid someone to do it 🤣

I don't think I've ever spent that kind money in the last couple of months other than our house and property as I did on a pair of hearing aids and a walk in bath in my entire life.

For some time (since we could never fill our master 2 person "jacuzzi" bath with hot water from "start to finish" years ago) my wife and I have talked about a new water heater, and having my dad complain to me the other night about wanting more hot water in his walk in tub, will probably be looking at a tankless water heater. On the plus side, the 50 gallon we have now is power vented, so I have a hole to work with in the mechanical room.

Only point is from what I've read, walk in tubs can easily hold twice the amount of water of a standard tub, and my 50 gallon kind of lost the heat with about 3" to go to fill that walk in tub entirely up (when I was using the other night). If you only have a 40 gallon water heater, may not be enough to fill up a walk in tub, and that's something to be aware of if the person likes hot water.

I always loved soaking in hot water myself. Guess I got that from my dad.

When my dad and MIL are gone and we downsize, seating room in shower will be mandatory in the house we retire to. As is, the master bath takes up so much room, a one person shower stall isn't large enough. We've been looking at changing it, but that will wait for a while now.

Last edited:
   / Sit in bathtub/shower? #82  
You could add a smallish tankless 'booster' heater to his supply line. Or a 2nd water heater.

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #83  

I don't think I've ever spent that kind money in the last couple of months other than our house and property as I did on a pair of hearing aids and a walk in bath in my entire life. ...

We had a wedding, a used car, 4 trips to Oklahoma and back, two trips to Pittsburgh, a 24x24 garage addition, and a cat that swallowed a $3K obstruction (twice) in the past year and a half.

I want a new chainsaw. 🤣

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #84  
We had a wedding, a used car, 4 trips to Oklahoma and back, two trips to Pittsburgh, a 24x24 garage addition, and a cat that swallowed a $3K obstruction (twice) in the past year and a half.

I want a new chainsaw. 🤣
Sounds a bit like my upcoming year...Oklahoma is only 90 minutes away...Pittsburgh, PA is another story. Next year the youngest graduates, the two oldest are both planning weddings and we have to build the house and garage on our land...I need a small windfall, no mega millions, but 100k would sure take off some pressure. 😉

/ Sit in bathtub/shower? #85  
Although I wouldn't have bought one for myself at this point, for him it's worth every penny.
That's exactly the safety benefit, my wife loves it. Certainly adds to her independence and quality of life.