Sixteen Dollar Tractor Bridge

/ Sixteen Dollar Tractor Bridge #1  

BrokenTrack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractors, Skidders, Bulldozers, Forestry Equipment
I have been redoing an old house that I have, and redid the driveway with gravel and such. It was no big deal, but I wanted a way to get across the new ditch. I thought about a culvert, but they are ugly, and cost money, so I decided to go with a bridge instead.

I admit that it took me 8 hours to build, but in the end it holds up my tractor/truck just fine, and only cost $16.50 for the long spikes I had to buy. Gathering up the logs did not take too long, but sawing the logs into lumber kind of did, taking the most time. But by noon I was starting to build the bridge.

It is 8 feet long, and 12 feet wide, the bridge resting on cedar supports, with the main beams being 5"x10". These I spaced at 5'-6" wide because my tractor has a 5 foot wide wheel base, and my truck has a 6 foot wheel base, so I split the difference. Over that I put down 3"x6" Hemlock planting, with a 2x4 hemlock spanning the outside edges to keep them from flexing. Over that I put 1 inch spruce boards so I know where to drive and have the main beams under me.

Overall, it was a rewarding project that turned out nice (I think anyway). I have used it now almost daily for a few months and have had no issues with it.

So if anyone has a stream or ditch they need to cross, his might be a cheap and easy way to do it.

DSCN0658.JPG

/ Sixteen Dollar Tractor Bridge #2  
Never thought of a culvert as being ugly. LOL

Your bridge looks nice. Do you have any humidity there?

/ Sixteen Dollar Tractor Bridge #3  
Culvert ugly?
I wonder how that wood will hold up in a year or two and start coming apart, how will it look?

/ Sixteen Dollar Tractor Bridge #4  
Is that the only access to the property? Just thinking down the line if you ever need a septic or fuel truck with a 20000 lb axle.

/ Sixteen Dollar Tractor Bridge #5  
thats a 5 yr bridge tops in our weather here - nice job and resourceful

/ Sixteen Dollar Tractor Bridge #6  
Looks nice man!

/ Sixteen Dollar Tractor Bridge #7  
Cedar base will last (relatively speaking) with moderate weights...... excellent performance, esp. given how little $ you have in it.

Counting your time, of course it's worth more, but most of us don't pay ourselves on projects like this :).

Things I don't like about small dia. culverts:

1) Debris, dead critters etc..... often easily accumulates, sometimes not easy to clear out.....

2) Early Spring Melt - often the culvert is frozen solid, to the top.

Your bridge BT, much like what would have been farm-built years-past, does the job for low dollars, and mostly bypasses the problems I just listed.....

:thumbsup: Rgds, D.

/ Sixteen Dollar Tractor Bridge #8  
That will save time getting from point A to B also crossing ditch by foot with items...plus winter use.

/ Sixteen Dollar Tractor Bridge #9  
Hey BrokenTrack good day Sir ! I hope you didn't get that handle building $16 tractor bridges . :D I hope it last Ya's (wooden bridge) and serves it temporary purpose ! I really LIKE your TRACTOR :thumbsup: ! However just a question ? What happened to the top part of your ROPS ? Play Safe

/ Sixteen Dollar Tractor Bridge #10  
I like that and it is a nice job especially seeing that you sawed out your own lumber. I build stuff out of wood too. Never a bridge yet though but I could use a couple. Wood doesn't last forever but it lasts longer than you would think. These open culverts are good on woods roads because are easy to keep clean.

WoodCulvert6.JPG

gg