Backhoe Skidding with a Backhoe

/ Skidding with a Backhoe #1  

TWINKLE_TOES

Veteran Member
I have some logs I need to skid out of the woods. I was thinking about using the hoe to reach around and grab em and then skid em out. Is this a bad idea? Am I going to pop seals or whatever by dragging logs with the hoe? Tractor is a B21.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Al

/ Skidding with a Backhoe #2  
If it isn't a big job, I wouldn't think it would hurt the BH. It will be difficult to keep from violating the 'no pulling above the axle' rule. My favorite skidding attachment is the counterweight, which acts like a butt plate and provides some steel work to attach the chain(s). A B21 ought to move a couple'o three 15" trees at a time on reasonable ground. SteveV

/ Skidding with a Backhoe #3  
Al,
I have done what you are talking about with my B21 on somewhat small logs. Keep in mind that you are putting the weight back a fair ways and that will create a lot of leverage. You might want to consider using a chain hooked to the Backhoe tie down loop (just above the swing cylinders). This is the best place I have found for light pulling with the backhoe on. Don't try to us the backhoe steps as a place to hook a chain. They will bend. (Opps) I am most likely saying things you already know, but I like to leave the stabilizers part way down in case that log got hung and turned your B21 into a wheelie machine./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

All that said, if you are talking large logs, I would take the backhoe off and use the draw bar.

MarkV

/ Skidding with a Backhoe
Mark and Steve,

Thanks for the responses./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif All the logs will be cut pretty short as I have to "snake" them thru the woods. Most are ~12in, a few ~18 in.

Al