Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #71  
I am now a believer in a new mask cushion every 3 months. Because my sleep doctor retired and I didn't get my chart transferred yet to a new provider I had not been able to order new supplies. My mask was about a year old. I ordered a new cushion and harness last week online. I didn't know I could get it without a prescription until this thread caused me to do some investigating. When the new parts arrived I slept better than I have in a long time.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #72  
Thanks for your suggestions. Makes me wonder why none of the medical professionals I've consulted have mentioned the different machines. I'm going to try to find out if I can get a free trial from the company that supplied my Cpap.
Too bad you don't live close. I'd loan you one of mine as I have 3 and all are Bipap machines.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #73  
I am now a believer in a new mask cushion every 3 months. Because my sleep doctor retired and I didn't get my chart transferred yet to a new provider I had not been able to order new supplies. My mask was about a year old. I ordered a new cushion and harness last week online. I didn't know I could get it without a prescription until this thread caused me to do some investigating. When the new parts arrived I slept better than I have in a long time.
You can buy the parts like headgear, cushions, tubing and even humidifiers without a prescription. Only thing a scrip is for is a machine or complete masks....and the sleep doctor wants the machine programmed for your pressure which I don't care about as I program all mine for me.

Far as I'm concerned, sleep apena treatment is a racket.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #74  
I am finally set for my overnight sleep over - on 11-30. BTW, when I initially consulted with my dr. about my concern about sleep issues (during a visit about something else) I indicated that I never woke up gasping or similar, but would wake up actually holding my breath which I would then wake up and 'puff' it out with a bit of force. He said there were two kinds of sleep apnea and what I described was one kind. He said it could be serious, thus the referral to a sleep study doctor. We shall see how this goes - another adventure for the old guy.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #75  
@beowulf Good luck with the sleep study!

All the best,

Peter

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #76  
@beowulf Good luck with the sleep study!

All the best,

Peter
Thanks. I wanted to do an in-home sleep study but they recommended I do it at their facility. The cynic in me wonders if it is because they can charge more. I am very interested in learning about any issues though.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #77  
The better question that should be asked...

Has anyone ever gone into a sleep study not been prescribed a Cpap or Bipap?

It's a racket. A person is better off putting a piece of tape over their mouth and training their body to breath through their nose.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #78  
The better question that should be asked...

Has anyone ever gone into a sleep study not been prescribed a Cpap or Bipap?

It's a racket. A person is better off putting a piece of tape over their mouth and training their body to breath through their nose.
I can't do that I suffocate, life insurance company probably would be upset.

It's also not necessarily that you don't breath through your nose.

It worked great for me , but I am sure thousands+ of these go to people that can probably use a breathe right strip and be fine.

/ Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #79  
I just went through a big cardiac scare Monday that sent me to the ER. I had the classic tightness of chest, shortness of breath, lightheadedness and profuse sweating. It first happened to me in August when I was working in Phoenix and I thought I just got overheated. Then it happened again last Saturday and again Monday. (BTW: my wife was thrilled to hear that I waited until the 3rd event before I got concerned enough to get checked out).

Anyway, I got a full cardio checkout, including EKG, Echo, nuclear stress test and they found no issues. However, I was on the path of "work yourself to death" with an incredibly busy year of traveling with less than 20 days off the entire year. With eating out all the time, plus the stress, they think a sodium rich diet along with a magnesium deficiency were the culprit.

However, sleep apnea has always been suspected too, especially based on what my wife says about my sleeping. So, my first step is to lose some weight, cut out alcohol (anything more than a glass or two of wine with dinner), work on a healthier diet and get some more exercise (all that healthy lifestyle stuff). We'll see if that improves the sleeping. If not, I'll need to look at the nighttime scuba gear options.

Edit: I'll also add that I started taking 5mg of Melatonin at night to help me sleep. I'm currently taking some I bought in Canada that dissolve under the tongue. It's definitely made a difference in how well I sleep. Most nights when I'd go to sleep, I'd wake up multiple times during the night with my mind racing about things needing done. Especially if I've been really busy and stressed. The Melatonin seems to alleviate most of that, and I've gotten a more restful night sleep.

Last edited:
   / Sleep apnea, CPAPs and other sleep health solutions. #80  
I have been a CPAP user now for around 18 years or so. For many years I got my machines and supplies from the medical supplier that the Dr hooked me up with. They sent me supplies as my insurance would allow and charged as much as my insurance would pay. The big problem was that until my deductible was met I had to pay out of pocket. They also sent my Dr a report from my machine (sometimes I had to call them to get them to do it).

I talked to my Dr. and discovered that I could get that same report from the app on my phone and send it to him myself. I also started buying my supplies online much cheaper. This got me away from the parasites.;)

Last edited: