Sliding Table for Belt Grinder

/ Sliding Table for Belt Grinder #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
I use a 2x72 belt grinder a lot, it is very versatile and powerful. I decided to make a sliding work table to improve accuracy on some operations.

Photo 1 - this is the fixed work rest I made when I first got the grinder. 1/2" aluminum. It is much larger than what is normally used but handy for many things.
Photo 2 - I installed 20mm rails and linear bearings for the slide mechanism.
Photo 3 - the work table is 3/8" aluminum. I put a grid of threaded 5/16" holes so standard milling machine hold-downs can be used on large or irregular work pieces. It is also drilled to accept a sliding T-nut extrusion.
Photo 4 - T nut extrusion installed. I am making a long bread slicer knife from a power hack saw blade. It is fixed to the extrusion with three clamps made from 1/4" steel.

With this setup it is easy to get a perfect bevel on the 20" knife blade. As well as perfectly square and even finishes on other workpieces.

The 2x72 grinder works well enough that I sold my Baldor wheel grinder which I never touched after getting the belt grinder.

Attachments

• gr1.jpg
    gr1.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 325
  • gr2.jpg
    gr2.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 297
  • gr3.jpg
    gr3.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 265
  • gr4.jpg
    gr4.jpg
    809.8 KB · Views: 313
   / Sliding Table for Belt Grinder #2  
Excellent build Pat. In essence you have a very nice surface grinding jig for your belt grinder

I am in other process of designing mine. I would really like to find a magnetic chuck though.

/ Sliding Table for Belt Grinder
Thanks Big Barn!

I have thought of a magnetic chuck too. Large ones are costly. I have seen DIY setups using rare earth magnets but not convinced that is the way to go.

This setup favors bevel grinding. Next step for me is to set it up so that it fits on the grinder when the grinder is laid down horizontal. That will be a very close approximation to a surface grinder.

/ Sliding Table for Belt Grinder #4  
Sweet idea. How big de loaf you slice wid 20" knife?

Magnetic chuck easy, look at magnetic door holding locks. Cheap, couple guys already build magdrills from dem.

Nice part of going to electromagnet is you can pulse wid AC and shed grinding dust.

Next you can add operator from commercial sliding electric door to move bed baack and forth at even speed.

/ Sliding Table for Belt Grinder #5  
I like it! Looks like the same SBR20 rails I just bought for a project, amazing how cheap they are.

Sweet idea. How big de loaf you slice wid 20" knife?

Magnetic chuck easy, look at magnetic door holding locks. Cheap, couple guys already build magdrills from dem.

Nice part of going to electromagnet is you can pulse wid AC and shed grinding dust.

Next you can add operator from commercial sliding electric door to move bed baack and forth at even speed.

I'll have to check out the door holding locks, thanks for the tip!

/ Sliding Table for Belt Grinder #8  
Once die is paid for price of extrusion stays same till competing extruder gets in game.

I like round shaft & linear bearings better then fancy T post.

TIP- you want to make slider fast & easy use real T posts and bearings from wheelbarrow or garden tractor steering tires. Won't be as tight but will serve many places. Works real good for torch or saw sled.

I got the sliding table set up to work with the grinder in the horizontal position. It removes material very fast and accurate. I debated making a fine adjustment mechanism to move the table toward and away from the belt, but decided for starters to just move the tool rest arm in and out. That works but is too clunky. So the next step is to make a screw in/out adjuster.

Attachments

• gr5.jpg
    gr5.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 151