Slo-blow fuse removal

/ Slo-blow fuse removal #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
Hi gang,

The inside of the slo-blow fuse compartment on my L4330 was full of dust and crap, so I attempted to clean it. I blew it out with an air hose and sprayed contact cleaner all around the fuses, but could NOT figure out how to actually remove them for a proper cleaning. Gentle grabbing with a pliers and wriggling/pulling on them did nothing. Didn't budge. Any more pliers grip force or pulling force would have broken the plastic housing. Are these not intended to be changeable? What's the trick to getting them out without destroying them?

IMG_0702 (768x1024).jpg

/ Slo-blow fuse removal #2  
Carefully grab with pliers, wiggle and pull. The ones in my F150 come out very hard but they do come out. I use a 6" pair of Channellocks. Hold the fuse block with the other hand while pulling.

/ Slo-blow fuse removal #3  
Hi gang,

The inside of the slo-blow fuse compartment on my L4330 was full of dust and crap, so I attempted to clean it. I blew it out with an air hose and sprayed contact cleaner all around the fuses, but could NOT figure out how to actually remove them for a proper cleaning. Gentle grabbing with a pliers and wriggling/pulling on them did nothing. Didn't budge. Any more pliers grip force or pulling force would have broken the plastic housing. Are these not intended to be changeable? What's the trick to getting them out without destroying them?

View attachment 541953

If you are not having any electrical problems leave it alone.

If it should ever blow, then you can get physical and risk damage to the contacts.

You are more likely to make things much worse with what you are doing than better.

The contacts are high amperage ones and if you are super concerned, measure the voltage drop across the fuse holder when everything is powered up but again best left alone.

Dave M7040

/ Slo-blow fuse removal #4  
If you are not having any electrical problems leave it alone.

If it should ever blow, then you can get physical and risk damage to the contacts.

You are more likely to make things much worse with what you are doing than better.

The contacts are high amperage ones and if you are super concerned, measure the voltage drop across the fuse holder when everything is powered up but again best left alone.

Dave M7040

Yep, I'd leave a sleeping dog lie.

/ Slo-blow fuse removal
Advice taken. Starting has been "sluggish" despite the (7 year old OEM) battery testing at almost full CCA with a battery load tester. I've checked/cleaned all the battery terminal and cable connections, as well as the heavy starter and alternator connections. All was clean and tight.

/ Slo-blow fuse removal #6  
Any chance of corrosion inside the positive cable to the starter?

Measure the voltage of the battery while cranking. Put the meter leads on the battery posts, not on the cable clamps. Then measure cranking voltage from negative battery post to the terminal, not the cable, on the starter.

The two readings should be nearly the same if the cable and the connections are good.

Also good to check from engine ground to negative battery post, while cranking.