small mystery

/ small mystery #1  

kidr

Gold Member
I have sort of a small mystery with 3/4" npt Katz block heater installed in a MF 180. I've burned out two of them so far. I spoke to a rep. and he gave me 3 usual reasons for burn out. Plugging it in with the element not submerged, element touching metal when installed in block, or air pocket in block. None seem to apply in my case. The dealer I bought it from suggested putting it on a timer so it's not on all night. He also said that antifreeze over 50% will shorten the life of the element. They seem to burn out with the 2nd use. I drained and flushed the system and added antifreeze at 50% and installed the third heater.
Does anyone have any other ideas before I try this one? Thanks

/ small mystery #2  
I burned out the lower hose style katz heater on my 1st try. Did everything like I was suppose to but it still popped and that was it. The 2nd one seems to be doing fine. I also only turn it on for about 1hr at a time heats things up real nice, can't see where I'd ever need it on all night.

/ small mystery #3  
I'm not familiar with "Katz" block heaters but most cars in Canada have a block heater and I have never heard of one burning out. I'd look for an alternative to the Katz.

/ small mystery #4  
This is out of no where. Maybe the heater is to big and putting a steam pocket around the element. That would be like running dry and if it is doing that the water well not move like it should.

/ small mystery #5  
Where was the heater manufactured?

/ small mystery
I discarded the packaging so I don't know where it was made. Could take a wild guess though. Steam pocket........never thought of that. Its a big tractor ,should handle a 300 watt heater. I'll try once more and see if the the cleanout worked. Oh yeah the manufacturer also said to use distilled water which I did. Thanks for the input.

/ small mystery #7  
Well at 300 watts forget the steam pocket.

/ small mystery #8  
I had a carter frost plug type in my tractor for about 15 yrs before it burnt out.
I regularly left it on overnight during -30 temps without problems.
Mine simply corroded away from time I guess but then 15 yrs and I'd be tired too.

One guess might be sludge in the block cavities preventing good coolant flow when the circulation pump is not pumping coolant around.

/ small mystery #9  
You didn't say if you had started the engine with the heater plugged in and on. If you did, that can burn them out too.

I had problems with air pockets after draining and refilling on a 574 IH. I put an asprin in the thermostat to take care of that problem. It holds the thermostat open so the liquid can get through the system and then the asprin melts and thermostat closes to normal.

/ small mystery #10  
Why would starting the engine affect the heater? Assuming you unplug it shortly afterward, it would take quite a while for the jacket to warm to anything like the heater temp.
Jim