Small Post-Framed Barn Construction: Opinions Welcome!

/ Small Post-Framed Barn Construction: Opinions Welcome! #1  

UOFan

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3025E
Good morning everyone. I am currently in the process of putting up a 15’x24’ barn. The picture below is about where it stands today:
BE391899-8353-43D8-9444-37143FB3AFD2.jpeg

Now as I finish the odds and ends with the headers (knee brace, nailed and finish my carriage bolts), I need to finish my roof plans.

To be honest, I’m kinda building as I go here...:! I’ve changed my parts of the project every day. It’s just my wife and I putting this up, so we’re not bound to any specific plans.

Here are my current plans for the roof layout:
C1667B23-6C41-4CB5-942C-D80A51D0A990.jpeg

my plan is to run a 2x8 ridge board across the 4 Center posts, And put up 2x6 rafters 24” OC. I figured 2x knee braces between each would help as well, and I have the extra wood.

We are planning to use galvalume for our roof, and I’ve read so many conflicting opinions regarding purlins vs. Plywood sheathing between the rafters and purlins.

Id appreciate any input about anything regarding this barn building process.

-Located eastern NC, no snow loads

I’ll post plenty more pictures detailing our progress and do a mini write up of our process just for reference, sometime in the near future.

thanks for viewing!

/ Small Post-Framed Barn Construction: Opinions Welcome!
And here are some obligatory photos of my JD 3025e being useful:

CD254F7C-D765-4815-9779-67BD5A4409E8.jpeg
ECEFF99E-0E3D-46FF-B3F0-BB2920DF031B.jpeg
27D3ABBE-C4BA-4A3F-9DCC-36EE37A7005B.jpeg

/ Small Post-Framed Barn Construction: Opinions Welcome! #3  
Interesting building concept...

Cant offer much help other than I would go purlins. If you are gonna spend the money on plywood you can shingle it cheaper. But I also like the underside of the metal exposed to keep it dry.

/ Small Post-Framed Barn Construction: Opinions Welcome! #4  
I do not know how cold it gets in NC but the bare metal on my roof would condense and drip water like rain before I added rigid insulation there later.

/ Small Post-Framed Barn Construction: Opinions Welcome! #5  
What’s wrong with ladden over your rafters and exposed tin in bottom? Like the old barns. No snow here and most barns here are built that way with the exception of metal buildings. Your span is only 15’ so from the ridge board to your bird mouth would be around 8’6” maybe 9’ for a 4-12 pitch. Would be longer depending on your overhang. Hope this makes sense.
It would also be cost effective since you wouldn’t be decking the roof. I built a 16x24 with rafters and ladden. Rafters are on 3’ centers but it’s rough cut lumber. So it’s the full 2x6.

/ Small Post-Framed Barn Construction: Opinions Welcome! #6  
I really like post and beam construction. What is the purpose of the inside posts and beams? Are you going to have a hay loft? I agree with the above, if you are going with a metal roof, forget about plywood.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Small Post-Framed Barn Construction: Opinions Welcome! #7  
My opinion is that it's too small...almost identical size to mine so I have experience :ROFLMAO:

I have bare tin, if I was to do it again I'm not sure what I'd do. It was cheap and easy but I have two or three boards that are getting some water damage from gasketed roofing nails that didn't seal all the way and I haven't gotten up there to seal it. But it has a few years left before I think there's an actual problem.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Small Post-Framed Barn Construction: Opinions Welcome! #8  
Can you delete the two interior posts before you get much farther? They are always, always gonna be in your way.

Sadly I do kinda agree with sea2 also, it's a bit small. Shoot your Deere will take up half of it right away.

Nice framing work though!

/ Small Post-Framed Barn Construction: Opinions Welcome! #9  
I really like post and beam construction. What is the purpose of the inside posts and beams? Are you going to have a hay loft? I agree with the above, if you are going with a metal roof, forget about plywood.
I wish I would have used plywood under mine. I had a hail storm with 2" hail that put holes in my steel roof. I think the plywood would have prevented that. But, that too requires more support than my original construction. I made my own double trusses spaced 8' apart with purlins spaced 2' apart across those. (No snow load down here.) I covered that with 10' steel panels. It was cheap and went up fast. It's still in good shape after 20 years--Except for the hail stone holes I re-patch every 3 years or so. The sun does a job on rubber patching. 😏

Here's a picture of the gantry and trolley I built a few years after. It's the only picture I could find of the roof construction.

2005_0901TrolleyLift0005.jpg

/ Small Post-Framed Barn Construction: Opinions Welcome!
Thanks for all the inputs. I will probably go with purlins directly against the metal roof. Not too concerned about a little bit of condensation as this will be a goat barn, not a shop or anything.

clintock, your post makes sense...I’m still trying to figure out the overhang. I’m thinking 12”? Any input?

Kenny - are you talking about the 4 Center posts? Those are my Center line for the roof. Basically it’s a 10’ deep by 24’ wide enclosed goat barn, and a 5’ by 24’ overhang out front.

I am going to Center the ridge board on those posts, so I’ll have a 4/12 10’ span on one side, and an 8/12 5’ span on the other side.