small Tricks

/ small Tricks #1  

TomG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1710: Loader, Hoe, Snowblower, Box scrapper & 3ph Forks
Thanks to whoever posted the note about connecting balky quick-connect hydraulic hoses by depressing the connector ball-bearing. I needed that one yesterday. Yes, covered by a rag is good. My own trick of opening the valves while pressing in the connector wasn't the answer. It was cool when I took off the implement and real hot yesterday when I put it back on. Good pressure in both lines.

So, here's my contribution for a new small trick I learned yesterday. After unhooking a box scraper, the 3ph hitch wouldn't lower on it's own weight, or with me pushing it down-I'm not sure if it would raise either. For reasons I can't figure, I lowered the loader and relieved the pressure on all valves. The lift started lowering on its own. Don't know why it worked that way--just happened. Hope this note helps somebody out sometime.

/ small Tricks #2  
TomG, I've never had exactly the same problem you had with your 3-point, but a couple of times with the B7100, when the 3-point wouldn't move, I didn't lower the bucket to the ground, but just wiggled the joystick a little bit to center the valves and everything worked. I found that even though the valves weren't opened enough for the bucket to be moving, they were keeping power from getting to the 3-point.

Bird

/ small Tricks #3  
TomG - On the quick-connect issue, Parker now makes a fitting you can connect under full pressure. They work great. And the best part is you can usually just unscrew the old one and screw the new one one. The worst part is buying them, of course.

Mark

/ small Tricks #4  
Here is my small trick...not really a trick, but something that I did for the first time this weekend that made a normally time-consuming job very easy...I like to change my blades on my woods belly mower often(which is on my 27hp yanmar), sometimes every week, and swap them out for a set (3 in a set) that are all sharpened and ready to go...the hardest part for me is always getting the old blades off, since they are, of course, under the belly mower, which is under the mower. I usually jack it up and it still not quite high enough to reach everthing easily...this weekend, I had a brainstorm...why not pick up my Yanmar with my JD5410 with loader/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif!...looked kinda funny, but sure made the job easy....now I only have to think about when I may have to do some work under my 5410....hmmm, maybe I'll need a new JD8400 to pick up the 5410/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ejb on 6/27/00 07:34 PM.</FONT></P>

/ small Tricks
I sort of figured that's what happened. Wiggling the valves did the trick, and lowering the bucket was incidental. I'm coming up hard on the 600-hour oil and filter change. A few hydraulic oddities are creeping in. Suppose I'd better do the change sooner than later.

/ small Tricks
I wonder if that means that hoses could be changed with the tractor running. That is, if somebody chooses to violate the safety thing (The only thing that should be done with the tractor running is sit in the seat).

Sounds like the Parker connects are pricey. I've got to negotiate with my wife about my oily rags. They keep disappearing. Couldn't find a rag to wrap around the hose end when I went to depress the ball bearing. Ended up using a work glove. Now it's pretty well soaked in oil, but I suppose I could buy a whole bunch of gloves for the price of a few connectors.

/ small Tricks #7  
On our plow trucks if the truck is left out side and the temp climbs and the sun hits the hose sometimes the hoses have so much pressure in them that you can not get connectors apart. I have found that if you shut of the pump (or engine) off and move the hydraulic lever through its ranges it will bleed off the pressure.

/ small Tricks #8  
TomG, actually you can connect or disconnect the hoses with what you have now with the engine running as long as the valve is centered so that it's not trying to push the oil through the line, and there's no pressure in the line. It's another of those things that may not be recommended, for safety reasons, but is quite commonly done.

Bird<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bird on 6/28/00 06:30 AM.</FONT></P>

/ small Tricks
Thanks. Every so often you hear something, and the mind goes 'click:' Oh yeah, of course, that's how it works.' This is one of those times.

Of course, my female disconnect fittings are way too close to the valve levers for me to actually be tempted. But who knows, maybe in a weak moment, I'll try it on the rear pair of hoses.

/ small Tricks #10  
TomG - As Bird said, there's no pressure on the tractor-side quick-disconnects when the tractor is running if the valve is centered. The problem comes in when there's pressure in the hoses on the implement have pressure in them, from settling or heat, usually. Then you have to resort to drastic measures like tapping the little ball in the end of the connector with a rag over it to keep from spraying yourself liberally with hot oil.

Mark