Small ztr traction on dry "level"

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #31  
Let's see. You're upping your tires. You've readjusted your seat. She moves to the left and your having issues in turns. Your issues are not all related to the steering or tires. Sounds to me like you've got issues with the trans. Something is out of whack back there. You can run them sticks all the way forward and she's still creeping, she's off. So get it in the shop and have the mechs tear into it and reset everything.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #32  
Any tire will tear up if you pivot. I'm aware a tire always needs to be turning. Going around a tree other than a sapling the inside tire will still be rolling but slower. No different than driving a normal lawn tractor.

And tire discussion usually always goes to mud. I have no intention on ever taking this into something that appears wet. Just don't have a reason to. I guess what amazed me is that more people aren't asking questions about tires trying to use this little machine on a normal lawn.

We’ve got different level machine but I run the crap out of my ZT. I’ve mowed across 30 degree hills which is a bit much but mowing across 15 degrees is easy and if it’s not pushing mud with the deck it’s good to go in wet areas.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #33  
yea i don't agree with the weight thing at all. normal mowers have all the weight in the front on steering not on rear, i can guarantee this has more weight on the drive wheels, then any of my normal mowers. Flat ground and it doesn't move, yea sorry there is some kind of issue, this mower has decent reviews all over the internet. and sorry pretty sure this would not have made it out of production if it literally can't go over flat ground. it should go just driving on rims, my kids electric big wheels has 0 slip, and does 20 % grades (with a trailer, towing a 25 pound implement) with no issues. Find the real issue. its not the tires.

this thing talks about some kind of automatic parking brake setup. Make sure the brakes aren't stuck on, or the rims are spinning inside the wheels

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level"
Ok update. I said I was buying tires regardless. So I did. What I got are 19x9.50-8 mx style knobbies and I bought another set of wheels. 150 bucks total. Mounted them up yesterday and got them on. Now it rained here for about 10 hours yesterday but I tried it anyways. I zipped all over the place. Only spinning was doing quick turns in place. Did not get stuck anywhere like it was doing with the turfs dry. I'm still going to try and get a video of both tires driving on the dry and I know someone is going to give me tips on turning so it can only help. Fyi slight backround on myself. I'm a race car fabricator by trade. I can promise I had this issue traced to actual tire spin. No transmission issues no wheels spinning on the beads. Tried lower pressure and different weight placement. Didn't improve it enough for me to be satisfied. I'm sure driving technique can be improved but when I'm sitting still and I need to turn right to avoid an obstacle and my right tire just sits there and spins backwards while my left tire just pushes the machine straight isn't technique....it just sucks.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #35  
Sounds to me like you're dragging the deck around. The anti-scalp wheels on the deck should NOT be touching the ground during normal mowing.

But, I'm still a little confused about your last statement of needing to avoid an obstacle when sitting still. 😏

Sounds to me like you're dragging the deck around. The anti-scalp wheels on the deck should NOT be touching the ground during normal mowing.

But, I'm still a little confused about your last statement of needing to avoid an obstacle when sitting still. 😏

One nose roller on the front. It has never touched yet. Have not been dragging the deck either. Again all things I've watched. My statement on sitting still and avoiding an obstacle......there is a tree stump in my front yard I drive up past it then back up and go around it. When changing directions at one point I'm sitting still. I need to rotate the tractor to go around it and at that point it won't move. I get one tire spinning backwards and if I make the other go forwards the tractor just drives straight. All of these areas have a slight slope in the ground. Again nothing I or anyone else should consider a "hill". These slight slopes that make the machine impossible to use is what's stupid. With the turf tires on near that tree stump I was getting into a situation where my only resort was to raise the deck and shut off the blades and back straight out over my landscaping.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #37  
Still sounds like something is dragging. Are the front casters and wheels free turning? Neither the wheels nor the caster post should have any drag. Uneven ground will also cause a caster to turn into the high spot. Where the casters point, so goes the mower.

Something else to consider: That mower doesn't have a suspension so if one wheel is on high ground or a hump, it and the wheel diagonally across from it will carry the weight. The other two will not have sufficient contact or traction. Could be what's happening when you're trying to go around a tree.

Perhaps a video of your lawn and mowing process would help others understand your situation.

Plan on getting a video when I can get my wife out in the yard with me. Yes I have thought about the front end giving me problems. Not having a pivot axle certainly hurts. I tested out in my garage what kind of step up on one front caster it takes to loose traction on a rear wheel. What I found is that I can't lift just the right or left side with raising a caster. The front end just raises and the back stays flat. Most of my problem is trying to reverse one wheel. I'm guessing that's unloading the back tire and letting it spin. Also guessing the big drop in pressure allowed one tire to compress down helping traction on the unloaded wheel. Before purchasing I looked into issues not having a pivot axle and everyone said there were no problems on any terrain they were on. Not having first hand experience I went with it. Now this stump doesn't have any big bumps or roots around it but like most of my ground it's not perfectly even. Again not what I'd consider terrible or areas where one might think it would be an issue.

I still will say my test in the rain in a soaking wet lawn I went to every spot I had issue with. Didn't have it with the new tires. I have them set at 5 psi which is actually max on them. They are taller and wider which I think helped alot.

/ Small ztr traction on dry "level" #40  
I still will say my test in the rain in a soaking wet lawn I went to every spot I had issue with. Didn't have it with the new tires. I have them set at 5 psi which is actually max on them. They are taller and wider which I think helped alot.
I believe you.
I have bar tire (Carlisle AT 101's) on my zero turn because with the mower couldn't get out of its ways with the stock turfs.
I was cursing the stock tires within 20 minutes of using my new mower and I hadn't even got off the level part of the lawn yet
I can mow near anywhere I want now with the bar tires. MASSIVE DIFFERANCE vs stock turfs