Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #51  

panamaguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubotab7001 ... IHI NX15 excavator
Yes, I've been looking for a folding ROPS to swap out but didn't see one for the JD790.
Find a good fab man and have him design a folding ROPS and build it. It's not rocket science

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #52  

Jac65

Tractor
Bobcat CT230
Don't overthink the problem or solution. if you have a welder and some basic skills you can fix this pretty easy. You need the tools, a section of square steel tube just big enough to fit over the current rops tube and some hardened pins .

Cut the current rops side tubes off about 8-10 inches from the top
Cut the new larger tube into two 8 inch pieces
Slip the large tube over the lower section of the rops so it overlaps by 4 inches and weld around the bottom edge, do this to both sides.
Insert the top section of the rops into the new tubes, make sure it is seated all the way down and drill holes for the pins.

Now you have a section rops that you can pull apart for transport.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #53  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
Don't overthink the problem or solution. if you have a welder and some basic skills you can fix this pretty easy. You need the tools, a section of square steel tube just big enough to fit over the current rops tube and some hardened pins .

Cut the current rops side tubes off about 8-10 inches from the top
Cut the new larger tube into two 8 inch pieces
Slip the large tube over the lower section of the rops so it overlaps by 4 inches and weld around the bottom edge, do this to both sides.
Insert the top section of the rops into the new tubes, make sure it is seated all the way down and drill holes for the pins.

Now you have a section rops that you can pull apart for transport.
I totally agree, very simple and relatively cheap solution. A possibly easier but a little more expensive solution might be a pair of folding trailer tongue hinges like these. Google folding trailer tongue hinge and you will find several different manufacturers and sizes. https://www.etrailer.com/Folding-Tr...MI5cug-Zj09wIVOMLCBB1UhwFqEAQYASABEgKQc_D_BwE

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #54  

jyoutz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000
That seems like the perfect solution and I would bet that the structural integrity would be maintained.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #55  

YNORUM

Tractor
Kubota L3560 HST
To the O.P.- Can you lay a couple planks in the front to slide the loader on and then use the down force to "wheelie" into the trailer? When the front goes up, the back goes down, and should lower your ROPS a couple inches, maybe just what you need. Be careful not to push your planks through the front of the trailer though.

/ Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling
OP
P

pretendfarmer

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790

I have decided this is the best option. At 5k rating per, there is no way this would impair the structural integrity. I am happy with this sort of modification, and don't feel it would devalue the tractor.

One problem is that it looks like the 2x3 folds the wrong direction, so I'd have to buy a 3x3 and shim it.

Last edited:
   / Smaller rear tires to lower tractor ROPS so I can fit into my trailer when hauling #57  

seville009

Platinum Member
Didn't read all the posts, so maybe this was suggested - after you get the front of the tractor onto the trailer, put some 2x4's in front of the front tires to drive up on the rest of the way. That may allow the ROPS to the angle/tilt back enough to clear the trailer top.