Smallest tractor with buddy seat?

/ Smallest tractor with buddy seat? #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
I went from a Kubota L4760 to a 2020 Case IH 55A cab because of the buddy seat I wanted for my kids. The thing is, the tractor is too dang big for what I do.

Anything on the market any smaller size than a 10,000lb utility tractor that has a buddy seat option? Seems the M4 Kubota’s are slightly smaller and lower weight with a buddy seat, but pretty insane in price.

/ Smallest tractor with buddy seat? #2  
Sometime around 1970, I had a brochure showing a Deutz with a seat on the fender. There was a pretty blond sitting in it. I think there's a law in SC forbidding passengers on tractors. Can't remember where I saw that, possibly in the drivers hand book.

/ Smallest tractor with buddy seat? #3  
I have a New Holland TL80A cab tractor. When my boys were small I had 2 small shower stall stools. One on each side of the cab. The boys spent hours riding with me. Moving hay bales I would run across the field and yell, "Shifting gears" as I shifted so they could brace themselves for the head snap. The other day my son was dogging his truck and I hear, "Shifting Gears" we both were laughing.

/ Smallest tractor with buddy seat?
I have a New Holland TL80A cab tractor. When my boys were small I had 2 small shower stall stools. One on each side of the cab. The boys spent hours riding with me. Moving hay bales I would run across the field and yell, "Shifting gears" as I shifted so they could brace themselves for the head snap. The other day my son was dogging his truck and I hear, "Shifting Gears" we both were laughing.
Yep, that’s the experience I’d like to provide for my kids. I got to ride with my dad and granddad in our 966 and 615 combine growing up, I want to provide the same type of experience.

That being said, I in no way need a tractor this damn big and heavy. The 4760 was a much more appropriate tractor for my use.

/ Smallest tractor with buddy seat? #5  
I went from a Kubota L4760 to a 2020 Case IH 55A cab because of the buddy seat I wanted for my kids. The thing is, the tractor is too dang big for what I do.

Anything on the market any smaller size than a 10,000lb utility tractor that has a buddy seat option? Seems the M4 Kubota’s are slightly smaller and lower weight with a buddy seat, but pretty insane in price.

I am not aware of anything smaller than a full sized utility tractor with a factory-offered buddy seat. The 2WD Deere 5055E/5065E/5075E cab models are about the lightest and shortest in height and in length units I know of with a buddy seat. They weigh about 5500 pounds unballasted and without a loader, compared to 6800 pounds for your CaseIH 55A and 4100 pounds for a cabbed Kubota L4760. Physical size is in between the CaseIH 55A and Kubota L4760 but somewhat closer to the CaseIH 55A.

Seat of pants experience says a cabbed tractor feels much larger than a similarly-sized open station unit and also a tractor where you sit up higher feels much larger than one where you sit lower even if other dimensions aren't that different. A wide turning radius will cause a tractor to seem as if it is larger as well. Was your L4760 cabbed or open station, and what specifically makes the CaseIH too big?

/ Smallest tractor with buddy seat?
I am not aware of anything smaller than a full sized utility tractor with a factory-offered buddy seat. The 2WD Deere 5055E/5065E/5075E cab models are about the lightest and shortest in height and in length units I know of with a buddy seat. They weigh about 5500 pounds unballasted and without a loader, compared to 6800 pounds for your CaseIH 55A and 4100 pounds for a cabbed Kubota L4760. Physical size is in between the CaseIH 55A and Kubota L4760 but somewhat closer to the CaseIH 55A.

Seat of pants experience says a cabbed tractor feels much larger than a similarly-sized open station unit and also a tractor where you sit up higher feels much larger than one where you sit lower even if other dimensions aren't that different. A wide turning radius will cause a tractor to seem as if it is larger as well. Was your L4760 cabbed or open station, and what specifically makes the CaseIH too big?

Honestly the weight and just physical size. The 4760 was super nimble and easy to haul, my 55A is cumbersome and not as easy to haul.

But, if it’s a trade off worth making for kids being able to ride with me it’s worth it.

So you think the E series deer is smaller than my 55A?

/ Smallest tractor with buddy seat? #7  
Honestly the weight and just physical size. The 4760 was super nimble and easy to haul, my 55A is cumbersome and not as easy to haul.

But, if it’s a trade off worth making for kids being able to ride with me it’s worth it.

So you think the E series deer is smaller than my 55A?

The Deere 5Es are somewhat but not tremendously smaller than the CaseIH 55A/65A/75A units. The CaseIH units are closer to the physical size and weight as Deere's "next size up" four-cylinder 5Es (5085E, 5100E.) I've driven the 5085E's immediate predecessor which is the exact same size as the 5085E, and I have a 5075E, and there is certainly a difference in physical size, but it is not enormous. The big difference is that the 2WD (not MFWD) version of the cabbed 5055/65/75Es is quite a bit more maneuverable and lighter than the MFWD version, and I have never seen a 2WD CaseIH 55/65/75A or its blue equivalent although they supposedly exist. I am supposing you have the MFWD version as a result and you should notice a difference between your unit and a 2WD Deere in those areas. If your CaseIH 55A is 2WD, the Deere will weigh about 700 pounds less, I can't say anything about maneuverability as they don't publish turning radii and I have never driven one.

I would recommend going to your local Deere dealer and sitting in a cabbed 2WD 5055/65/75E and driving it around a bit. My local dealership chain has several of them as there are a lot of people haying with this kind of tractor. A little seat time will tell you if this is a better idea than your CaseIH 55A or if it's still too large.