Smoking farmall a

/ Smoking farmall a #1  

45FarmallA

Tractor
Farmall Model A
Hello! So I have purchased a Farmall A yesterday (I believe its a 45) and it smokes like a broken stove, but only after it has ran for a minute or two. Is that just the rings going bad or the valves? I would like to fix it this fall but I don't know what's causing it to smoke.

/ Smoking farmall a #2  
Which engine? What color is the smoke?

/ Smoking farmall a
It is the C113 and its blue smoke.

/ Smoking farmall a #5  
I'd start with wet and dry compression test. That will help identify whether it's rings or valves. Unfortunately if it's valves and you fix them the added pressure may have you doing the rings very soon, too. Of course it could just be blowing by the valve guides if you're lucky.

/ Smoking farmall a #6  
If you run it with the oil filler cap off, and a `lot` of gasses come out, it'll give you an idea of how much is going past the rings.

/ Smoking farmall a #7  
It's a cheap and easy engine to overhaul. Do the wet/dry compression test and monitor oil pressure hot and cold to verify the deficiencies. Do as much or as little engine work as you decide fits your needs and budget. An in-frame overhaul is an option if you have good oil pressure, no leaking crankshaft seals and good crank journals.

/ Smoking farmall a #8  
The spark plugs will tell you a lot too. If they have an oily residue on them, not carbon buildup, more than likely. it's the rings. My BN's rings were so bad, plugs would foul out after about 45 minues of run time. An over bore sleeve/piston set, crank turned .010 with new bearings, and valve job made it like new again. That was 40+ years ago, and still runs great.

/ Smoking farmall a
The spark plugs will tell you a lot too. If they have an oily residue on them, not carbon buildup, more than likely. it's the rings. My BN's rings were so bad, plugs would foul out after about 45 minues of run time. An over bore sleeve/piston set, crank turned .010 with new bearings, and valve job made it like new again. That was 40+ years ago, and still runs great.
What if the spark plugs has a lot of both?