Snow chains, too close to the body

/ Snow chains, too close to the body #1  

Komrade

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 HST
I have an L3430
Last year my tractor slid and got stuck in our hilly terrain.
So this year I decided to get the baddest snow chains they got.
I've gotten these chains, Tractor Studded Pattern Tire Chains
I do not recall if I consulted the forums.
I did get the front chains installed, and put the backhoe back on for weight.

Of course, it barely snowed the whole winter, so they sat in a box.

Today I finally attempted to install them, only to find out they would be hitting the body, especially with what seems to be an 'extension' of
20170313_185811.jpg

But basically, i maybe have an inch of space. I am not sure any chains will work.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need different chains? Do I need different style of chains?

I did email the seller, but it's been 3 months since I got the chains.

Attachments

• 20170313_185811.jpg
    20170313_185811.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 347
Last edited:
   / Snow chains, too close to the body
20170313_185915_001.jpg

This is how much space I got.

Tire size is 420/70r24

/ Snow chains, too close to the body #3  
You need wheel spacers to put chains on these tractors when running R4 tires and maybe turfs. With Ag tires, you should have room.

/ Snow chains, too close to the body
Where do i get spacers?
Any reason not to have them on permanently?
I can imagine these tires are fun to remove.

/ Snow chains, too close to the body #5  
Bummer to see that. It's my understanding most of the L series needs the spacers. They are available aftermarket online, through a tire store or the dealer. Most folks just leave them on once they are put on. If your tires have ballast you will need to learn how to remove enough to use a tire dolly or hoist to R&R the tires. I don't know what the local mobile truck/tractor tire guy would charge but that is also an option.

/ Snow chains, too close to the body #6  
My L3200 didn't have clearance for rear chains with R4s. R4s were non-adjustable, unlike R1 ags. I just ran front chains.

The R4s on my new L4060 are adjustable. I have them set to 72" & could probably run chains on the rear. I think they go narrower & wider from where I have them.

If yours don't adjust you'll need spacers. I didn't go that route on the L3200 as my 60" track matched my 60" wide implements. That and front chains got the job done.

/ Snow chains, too close to the body #7  
Yes, you need spacers. I leave my spacers on permanently. They add to stability by widening the stance of the tractor.

/ Snow chains, too close to the body #8  
That IS close tolerances. I think I would run spacers even if I wasn't going to use chains. Then, maybe you don't have mud like I do here.

/ Snow chains, too close to the body #9  
Your dealer should be able get spacers,I paid little under $400.00 5 years ago...once on leave them on.