Snow plow blade coating??

/ Snow plow blade coating?? #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
I did a couple of (quick, I will admit) searches for anti-stick coatings for snow blades, and didn't find anything. I am pretty sure that TbN has had lots of discussions about that, and perhaps a patient soul will direct me to some? In the past, I have tried silicone spray, graphite paint, vegetable oil, etc., but nothing lasted long enough to make it worth the trouble. Now, I have a brand new Horst 78" front blade for our L3130, and I would love to treat it before it meets its first wet snow.

/ Snow plow blade coating?? #2  
Most new snow plows have baked on powder coating and stays pretty slippery the first year. A good paste wax can be applied at the beginning of the snow season. every few years the blade may need to be repainted. A fresh coat of paint also helps the snow slide off. I've had good luck with Meyers plow paint (or any plow brand paint). Not sure if their paint has some additive but snow comes off fairly easy. Really not much else you can do to shed snow off the blade that I know of.

/ Snow plow blade coating?? #3  
Short of lining with plastic, a fresh coat of paint every season is probably the way to go.
I resort to applying a coat of Tremclad every spring after scuffing the surface beforehand. Works for me.
The trick is to not let any rust take hold.

/ Snow plow blade coating??
Thanks for the link, Stanley. Neighbors helping neighbors... I like that. I will check it out. I had planned to wax it, using Rejex, an aircraft "wax" intended to keep jet exhaust stains off your 2 million dollar toys, but the poly liner seems like a great idea. More later this year, after I plow some snow. Right now, no snow.

/ Snow plow blade coating?? #6  
Has anyone ever used that NeverWet stuff? I'm going to try it on my snowplow. Just not sure how long it will take to wear off.

/ Snow plow blade coating?? #8  
I've never put anything on my rear blade. My driveway surface is rough enough that the bouncing and jarring keeps the blade clean.

However, I would be interested - anything that will assist in creating a non-stick surface will also help in moving the snow.

/ Snow plow blade coating??
The Never-wet is interesting, too. I plow a gravel lane, mostly compacted ground up asphalt, but graven non the less. That's been the problem with coatings- the occasional pieces of stone abrade whatever is on the blade. Oh, for a paved lane...

/ Snow plow blade coating?? #10  
I've heard a lot of people say Fluid Film works great. Never tried it myself though.