Snowblower Wings Homemade

/ Snowblower Wings Homemade #1  

moship

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 HST 4x4 Kubota L4740-3 HST
Moving the 72" front mounted snowblower from the L3130 to the L4740 cab was easy enough, but unhappy how the blower barely covers the rear tracks of the R4's. Looked at purchasing wings from Kubota, but unfortunately the wings only add an additional 5" of overall width (2.5" per side) at a cost of $108 +tax and shipping charges. FYI... Kubota calls these Drift Cutters, Item #: L2177. Please note the wheels are already positioned inward, so adjusting wheel dish offset wouldn't help much.

Wanting a bit more width, I elected to make a set of wings using 1/4" thick bar of various widths (2", 3" and 6") and welding them together. 1/4" was used as it matches the snowblower material thickness. Before fabricating in metal, mocked up with cardboard and hot melt glue.

Fortunately there is a local metal supplier that will sell smaller lengths to the general public with very reasonable cut fees. Steel cost just under $40. Can of Rustoleum Primer and Black another $12. Also used about a 1 pound of flux core welding wire, $10. So all in it cost $62, plus the fun of trying out a new welder. New welder is a Vulcan MIGMax 215 and I was satisfied with its performance. It replaces a Lincoln 110V weld pack.

Overall I'm satisfied with how they turned out and gained another 8.5" of overall width, bringing the blower width to 80.5". It will also allow the rear tires to be positioned outward for tire chain clearance if needed.

Below are a few pictures for those that might be interested.

Mock up:

Mock-Up 1.jpg

Front cutter added and support braces (Support braces really aren't needed, but I cut them ahead of time so used them)

Wing 1.jpg

Added Rubber belting material to drag against the road surface

Rubber 1.jpg

Seems like it will help provide clearance for the rear tires.

IMG_0099.JPG

I'm guessing these will act as "snow insurance" and we won't get any meaningful snow this year to try them.

/ Snowblower Wings Homemade #2  
This has been on my radar for a while... Very nice design. I particularly like the triangular brace and rubber edge. Last year I upgraded my 6 foot blower with hydraulic rotation and deflection, as well as a cutting edge and full length monster skid shoes from a much larger style blower.
I saved your photos in case I get brave enough to try this project with an old AC Buzz box welder.

/ Snowblower Wings Homemade #3  
Good concept and a great finished product! An 8.5" increase in width will slow your forward progress a bit in heavy snow. It shouldn't be an issue though since you have the HST transmission with an infinite forward speed range.

Not sure where you are in PA but here in the northeast, we haven't been getting the snow we used to get two decades ago. We did get a rare 30 incher last season which put my Woods SS74 rear mount blower to good use. Prior to that, I hadn't used it for 7 seasons. Anything less than 18" or so, I can handle with my plows.

The SS74 worked well behind my old L3430 HST but is a bit narrow for my current L6060 with R4's. I may copy your design if we get a few more big storms. Thanks for posting!

/ Snowblower Wings Homemade
Thanks guys! I was hoping others would benefit from the concept and perhaps improved the design.

I forgot to mention in the original post how the holes were created in the 3/8" conveyor belting. Chucked up a spent 380 shell in the drill press and slowly applied downward pressure as it rotated. It cut through the rubber really quickly, but slowed considerably when encountering fabric reinforcement. The method created a fairly clean hole. Had to pry the rubber slug from the shell casing before starting the next hole.

Couple of photos of the cardboard mock-up before creating in steel. The extra bracing was needed in cardboard to keep everything from falling apart.

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

Top View in Metal

IMG_0102.JPG

Last edited:
Finally received some snow last weekend. It was only 6" and very wet, but I'm happy to report the wings worked well with no negative side effects. Even the rubber worked in keeping the road clear.

Granted this wasn't much of a test, but at least it is a data point.

The wings definitely helped in finessing the blower under the mailbox, around garage doors or other obstacles without the rear tires getting in the way.

1/4" bar stock was used to fabricate the wings, which matched the thickness of the blower housing.

/ Snowblower Wings Homemade #6  
Nice job Moship! Very cost effective too.

/ Snowblower Wings Homemade #7  
Does anyone find that the wings pull the tractor sideways if there is snow only on one side? For example, if you clear the middle first, and then go down the two sides of the road for the second and third pass.

/ Snowblower Wings Homemade #9  
Does anyone find that the wings pull the tractor sideways if there is snow only on one side? For example, if you clear the middle first, and then go down the two sides of the road for the second and third pass.

I can push a pretty hard snow berm with the outside of an 8 ft plow without problem, so I'll be surprised if the blower wings cause a problem, but hopefully some other people that have wings will weigh in.

When I have either or both wings on my mog's blower, it makes it tough (or impossible) to push into a rock hard wind drift, but otherwise I don't notice them.

I can push a pretty hard snow berm with the outside of an 8 ft plow without problem, so I'll be surprised if the blower wings cause a problem, but hopefully some other people that have wings will weigh in.

When I have either or both wings on my mog's blower, it makes it tough (or impossible) to push into a rock hard wind drift, but otherwise I don't notice them.

Keep in mind it looks like Check has a BX model, so hopefully someone with a similar machine can weigh in. I'm worried my experience with a L4740 will not be relevant.

Do you think how long (not height) the cutter section of the wing would impact this? Basically you have a 1/4 x 24" (in my case) profile cutting into the snow. This is the same profile as the blower housing. What is different is the length. I used 2", but the blower housing is maybe 16" (guess on my part). This section of the wing could be made longer....

Then again maybe if the alternator was upsized the cutter could be heated and melt the hard pack snow/ice as you go. (just trying to be funny).