SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED)

/ SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED)
Help Please ...

I am planning to pick this unit up in a couple of weeks (6 hr drive, and 1 week duration)
I'm hoping to avoid the need to take the canopy off of my truck - space limits are 78 inches long, 48 inches wide between wheel wells, and 40 inches HEIGHT at the entrance of the canopy. The length and width seem to be okay. checking on height
I'm trying to avoid the use of a trailer
If I can avoid taking the wheels off, that'd be great
Letting air out of the tires is optional, IF need be
I'd love to just roll it into the truck box :)

1626657230906.png

1626658972831.png

For Planning purposes ...

my friend has not had a chance to measure it while it is in storage there, and there is no information that I can find on TractorData, or through google searches, so

Is anyone knowledgeable enough about these older / simiar mowers to give me a close estimate of the HEIGHT of this '69 Jacobsen ?
the highest point on the tractor is the steering wheel
the rear wheels are custom - from a vehicle, as I understand it
as a reference point - is anyone familiar with this fence design to give me a rough idea of how high the cross-beams are from the ground ? I'm hoping that that is a 6 ft fence ???

Thank you for any extra insight, I appreciate it very much.

Last edited:
   / SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED) #22  

maybe a good parts machine for you.
Engineer42 - thanks for the reply. It's too bad that we are so far apart - Delaware to British Columbia is a long trip.

Would you kindly do me a favour and measure the height from Ground to Top of Steering Wheel ? That would be helpful (even though my rear wheels are different). Thank You so much, have a great day.

/ SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED) #24  
I would if it was mine. Just something I ran across and remembered you were looking for a deck.

right, thanks
:)

/ SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED) #26  
No help with in-person measurements here.. however..

If you know how big ONE thing in a picture is, you can roughly find a lot of the other measurements either in software like Paint or just by holding a ruler up to your screen! Those front wheels are probably 8" diameter. Im not able to read the tire sizes off but as a car mechanic and occasional amateur racer who by extension became a bit of a car tire stickler/snob i can tell you that rear tire is roughly 24" diameter. My rough scaling suggests the tractor is NOT over 40" tall (closer to 36 i think?). However, if it is, just taking off the rear wheels (which are regular lugs, no weird sized stuff or cotter pins, e-clips etc) it would get you WAY under 40. So i think you're good.

I feel like im about to find out you already got it home though.. heh.

Hi Vigo327 - thank you for those suggestions.

I am making arrangements to go and pick it up next week actually (a circle trip of about 1500 kms).

I think that the best guess that I have is about 36 - 40 inches at the steering wheel, so I think you are close

I'm still thinking that I will have to let some air out of the rear tires, just to roll it under the canopy for transport. I will give an update later :)

In 4 hrs (6 AM) I will be leaving to pick up the Jacobsen garden tractor. It will be a 1600 km / 1000 mile trip there and back over the next 5 days.

Travelling convoy / tandem style with a friend, in our pick-ups. Hopefully the weather is good and the roads are clear.

/ SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED) #29  
Well, if it doesn't fit with tires deflated, consider raising the topper by adding 2x4's under it? Also removal of tires and wheels and sliding it in by sheer force will gain another couple of inches.
As far as the mower deck on the lawn tractor in Delaware, might not hurt to look into shipping via some of the more interesting ways. Also, ask seller if they would consider removing the deck with all hardware and shipping it if you pay for the whole mower. There are a lot of people who haul things "under the radar" so to speak. When I was chasing tractors all over the country, I would look for people needing stuff moved in the direction I was headed, to pay my fuel bill for the whole trip. Someone headed your way with an empty pickup would love to have help with fuel! My point is, think outside the box before writing off something due to distance. It is easier for me, because I have been in trucking for most of my life
David from jax

/ SO EXCITED ... and perhaps a bit sentimental (UPDATED) #30  
Good luck Scaredy-hope it all goes to plan.