Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........?

/ Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with GM?

Sold my last of 4 Ford diesel trucks. This one was a 2008 6.4L F-350 plow truck. Still looked good-no rust, but at 185,000 miles, I knew the after treatment system was going to need replaced at any time. No rust, but it was on the way. Didnt like the blue color (rest of trucks are white). I am real happy with what I got for it. Sold with Western snowplow.
I have all spring, summer and fall to replace it with a newer, but still used truck. Spending budget limit is $30k. Must be ONE TON SRW and diesel. Choices in that price range put me right back in a DPF or DEF truck. Best option is 1-ton crewcab shortbed or super cab longbed for my current needs. I really cant come off that configuration. Need 1 ton to carry loaded salt spreader and shorter chassis for driveway maneuvering.

Which truck? I am leaning heavily towards GM, but I was concentrating so much on Ford DPF issues, I dont know what GMs issues are. Are they as bad as Fords? I like the Duramax/Allison much better than the Powerstroke/Torqshift, although the transmissions are pretty evenly matched.

Anyone running a ?7.5 or newer Duramax/ally? I wouldnt rule out a 6.7L Ford or Dodge priced right, but prefer GM. Had 2007 GMC 3500 Dmax/Ally and liked it, but shes long gone....:mad:
I cannot do a gas truck or a new truck. Dually out because of plowing.

Last edited:
   / Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #2  
I have heard a lot of good things about the Ford diesels but have no first hand knowledge. Lots of them out there. I am a big fan of the aluminum body’s, body rot is no more of a problem. A Ram with a Cummins and an Aisin would be my second choice.

/ Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #3  
F150 with the 3.5!!!!

/ Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........?
   / Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #5  
Do you ever look at Ritchie Brothers auctions? There seem to be good deals available. I am currently spending way too much time on their website looking for a gas F3/4/550. We are entering into first quarter auction season.

Do you ever look at Ritchie Brothers auctions? There seem to be good deals available. I am currently spending way too much time on their website looking for a gas F3/4/550. We are entering into first quarter auction season.

Nah, I think I will stick to private sale trucks.....bought enough tired stuff from RB and JJ Kane.
Going diesel.

/ Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #7  
Nah, I think I will stick to private sale trucks.....bought enough tired stuff from RB and JJ Kane.
Going diesel.

My former employer used Ritchie Bros to auction off trucks and equipment, and working in the shop, I got to prep what sold. You're wise to avoid such sales... never know when somebody might have pulled the bulb or put black tape over an ABS or check engine light in the dash...

As to your adiment diesel engine powerplant, I've been a die-hard 7.3 powerstroke diesel fan for 20 years or more... but much as it caused me to twitch nervously to do so, I traded off one of my 7.3 trucks last summer on a 2016 F250 with the 6.2L gas motor. I've heard of the issues (and the huge price tag that goes wih them) of the 6.7L diesels and the 6.2L gas having a 'tough as nails' reputation, and figured I'd try one. I'm quite impressed. I tow trailers often enough, and the 6.2 does the job just fine, as good or better than my 7.3s. Gas mileage is dismal, but power and snappy throttle response makes up for it. I understand if you don't, but I encourage you to seriously consider a 6.2 gas motor.

Edit: Just read your post in the other thread about pulling 44k twice a week. The 6.2L isn't likely to enjoy that lifestyle, but as you describe above, as a plow truck, SRW, with F350 suspension, it would do just fine. And overall operation/maintenance cost is likely going to be lower that the same truck with 6.7 diesel.

Good luck no matter what you choose...

Last edited:
   / Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #8  
Re: Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with GM?

You might want to watch Scotty Kilmer You Tube videos. He's a mechanic with 35+ years of experience on all makes and models. He's not high at all on GM products, especially the drive trains in the last 10 years due to lowering quality/performance standards. I've never owned a GM truck, so I can't say one way or the other. My brother had the small Power Stroke diesel in an F-350 and it wasn't good. But the 7.3L (or 7.5L?) he had before that was a champ. He also had a Ram ¾ ton, and nothing but problems with the tranny. It was in the shop more than out of it.

With the demands you'll put on the truck, I'd stick with the Ford's since you have a lot of experience with them. But I'd lean toward the 7.3L over the 6.0L.

Good luck on your search.

/ Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #9  
I'm a Ford guy (have several... 7.3L PSD, two V8 Explorers and two Rangers), but my mechanic and farmer friends don't like the newer Ford diesels, they all have GM or Dodge... Of those I would pick a GM with a Duramax, that and the Allison are a good combo from what I hear. The 4 friends I have with Duramax trucks all like them... as long as you don't lift the suspension the front suspensions seem to hold up and they ride nicely.

Re: Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with GM?

You might want to watch Scotty Kilmer You Tube videos. He's a mechanic with 35+ years of experience on all makes and models. He's not high at all on GM products, especially the drive trains in the last 10 years due to lowering quality/performance standards. I've never owned a GM truck, so I can't say one way or the other. My brother had the small Power Stroke diesel in an F-350 and it wasn't good. But the 7.3L (or 7.5L?) he had before that was a champ. He also had a Ram ¾ ton, and nothing but problems with the tranny. It was in the shop more than out of it.

With the demands you'll put on the truck, I'd stick with the Ford's since you have a lot of experience with them. But I'd lean toward the 7.3L over the 6.0L.

Good luck on your search.

Scotty Kilmer?
No more 6L or 6.4L for me.
Might try a 6.7 Ford. My Ford diesel tech buddy really likes them.
GM makes excellent drivetrains, body and chassis concern me.
I have storage tanks for diesel so gas is out plus the poor fuel mileage