Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........?

/ Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........?
Exactly my thoughts. And yes, the teething problems were BAD. My last teething problem rolled out of my driveway on Thursday. Lol
I think my overall stress level dropped 25%. Very good trucks ruined by pretty unreliable junk after treatment systems. The Ford system never made sense to me. It would retain soot for a while, then do a deep regen to burn off trapped soot? All I saw was smoke and nasty odors for 10 minute. Where did all the soot go? I heard it made things worse by making the particles finer?

Although it looks like out trucks are going to be replaced with electric in the next decade, it seems like manufacturers are refining and perfecting the diesel after treatment systems. It took too long, though. I could see a few years, but it feels like it took at least 5 if not 10.
What I am trying to find out is if GMs DPF system is any better than Fords, or vice versa in the 2011-2016 era trucks.

Last edited:
   / Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #52  
Exactly my thoughts. And yes, the teething problems were BAD. My last teething problem rolled out of my driveway on Thursday. Lol
I think my overall stress level dropped 25%. Very good trucks ruined by pretty unreliable junk after treatment systems. The Ford system never made sense to me. It would retain soot for a while, then do a deep regen to burn off trapped soot? All I saw was smoke and nasty odors for 10 minute. Where did all the soot go? I heard it made things worse by making the particles finer?

Although it looks like out trucks are going to be replaced with electric in the next decade, it seems like manufacturers are refining and perfecting the diesel after treatment systems. It took too long, though. I could see a few years, but it feels like it took at least 5 if not 10.
What I am trying to find out is if GMs DPF system is any better than Fords, or vice versa in the 2011-2016 era trucks.
I think they will be pretty similar. GM commonly can have heater circuit codes for the DEF tank heater and that gets replaced as the nature tank.believe it's a handful of hundreds for the tank and a hour to swap them over.

Look into what injection pumps these motors have as a lot of them have gone to the CP4 which doesn't have fantastic reputation. CP3 is a bit more reliable and not as happy to grenade metal through the system if it gets water in it.

The 2011-14 or 15 ford's had some turbo issues and earlier models had some issues dropping valves. Imagine any truck of that age you would purchase would have already been delt with if it had those issues.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the big three trucks 2011 and newer as long as you know what to look for as far as maintance and how well it's been cared for.

Yeah my RAM apparently has the CP4. I wasnt too happy about that. I extended the warranty with the truck, which doesn’t necessarily mean everything will be covered, but it’s almost a necessity anymore. RAM had the best warranty and GCWR in ‘20, so I went with it.
I constantly get offered additional warranty via email. Its tempting to do even more warranty.

I don’t know what it is about GM trucks, but they just appeal to me more now. Is it the military vehicle DNA, like IFS that goes into them? I don’t know......lol

/ Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #54  
Lots of CP4s out there. Not bad, just more picky. Buy fuel from bigger distributors and less likely to have issues.

I think the 6.6 and Allison are a very solid combo. Ride nice and do plenty of work. Only down side of ISF is if you plan to do a lift or much offroading. The solid axles have that beat as companies like Thuren and Carli make some sweet kits for them.

Lots of CP4s out there. Not bad, just more picky. Buy fuel from bigger distributors and less likely to have issues.

I think the 6.6 and Allison are a very solid combo. Ride nice and do plenty of work. Only down side of ISF is if you plan to do a lift or much offroading. The solid axles have that beat as companies like Thuren and Carli make some sweet kits for them.
I’m in good shape there. I buy name brand fuel from big fuel movers. Generally have been running Exxon/Mobil diesel. No real fuel problems to speak of in my trucks over last 20 years. I change fuel filters often.
On the 6.6/Allison: no lift kits here. I like bone stock trucks outside of maybe a winch bumper or a flatbed with a gooseneck hitch.

/ Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #56  
Find any of the three cleanest and best maintained you can and I bet it would serve you well.

I would love a g56 manual cummins 3500 but getting harder to find.

/ Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #57  
Currently own 2019 ram 2500 with Cummins came from two Ford King Ranches. Cummins hard to beat, own one with 300000 on it still going strong. Cummins has very low emissions now from factory but only a matter of time till electric wins

/ Sold my last Ford diesel today. Replace with........? #58  
Friend of mine bought a new Duramax when I got my 7.3. Saw him last week with a suv, he said it was a loaner while they had his new Chevy for 3-4 weeks , waiting on parts for the emission system and there were three trucks ahead of him ! Needless to say he wasn't too happy !

Currently own 2019 ram 2500 with Cummins came from two Ford King Ranches. Cummins hard to beat, own one with 300000 on it still going strong. Cummins has very low emissions now from factory but only a matter of time till electric wins
There’s something comforting about having a true medium duty engine under the hood for me. The loads I pull at the frequency I pull them require medium duty strength.
When I was truck shopping a year ago, I thought the new GM 4500/5500/6500 was going to be my truck nirvana, but the tow ratings were pathetic.
One dealer told me the 6.6 was topped out for towing at 40,000. Another told me it was the Allison.
The Cummins and Aisin transmission were rated at 43,000 and that really sold me.