Something to tear up sod

/ Something to tear up sod #1  

musselmark

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 NH TN75DA
I built a dirt bike track for kids in an old hay field. Kids want me to make something like a tiller but to only tear up about an inch or 2 deep. I was thinking of making something about 5 feet wide like a 4" pipe with dozens of 2" pieces of flat bar welded onto it. I have an old 8hp engine and was going to chain drive this thing similar to how a tiller operates. Would tow it around with ATV. Any suggestions to improve it effectiveness. Ballpark RPM I should should for, rotation direction in relation to travel direction. I was going to mount wheels on either side so the depth of cut is only an inch or so. I would cut grass short as possible first. Any other ideas. I told kids just to ride track more to tear it up.

/ Something to tear up sod #2  
I would just use a box blade scarifiers set to depth wanted. Tilt it forward by shortening the top link so the blade isn't touching. Or you could use this (Photo below) IMG_1643.JPG

/ Something to tear up sod #3  
Check on one of the supply companies. (Name is escaping me.) Just google "keulavator". One of them has it. It's a rig that sits on the 3ph that you can attach cultivator tines to. Just buy some cultivator tine shanks and all from the same outfit, about 7 or so and mount them on the rig.

Ralph

/ Something to tear up sod #4  
The virgin land on my property has a top sod layer that's tough, really tough. It will make an 8hp Troy Built Horse buck like a wild stallion. This home made "thing" is used to break clods & smooth out cultivated land. You could easily make something like this. Wood or angle iron - heavier tines - cement blocks for added weight. Tow it around the track. A whole lot simpler that some mechanical device. View attachment 645943

/ Something to tear up sod #5  
IF, you really want to tear up some sod, just buy a skid steer and put steel tracks on it!!

You shouldn't have to drive it around too much, to get the job done! ha ha ha

SR

/ Something to tear up sod #6  
Ordinary disc angled and weighted to get your desired effect.

/ Something to tear up sod #7  
I would just use a box blade scarifiers set to depth wanted. Tilt it forward by shortening the top link so the blade isn't touching. Or you could use this (Photo below)View attachment 645936

My suggestion is assuming the OP had nothing that would do the job. The subsoiler attachment shown cost me $350 new but that was 5 years ago, it may be a bit higher now but definitely cheaper than any other item listed. It will do the job regardless of how tough the soil is.

/ Something to tear up sod #8  
I just made myself a go kart track. I went around it with a mower to cut the vegetation as low as I could get it. Then I made several passes with the disc harrows. Followed up with the landscape rake. Some areas I had to pull some piles of grass to the side.

/ Something to tear up sod #9  
Make enough laps with the dirt bikes and the grass will gone especially if these are motorcycles.

/ Something to tear up sod #10  
I was gonna try a tiller behind my tractor to make a driveway I don't know how that's going to work but I know my tractor won't dig it with the loader but might soften it so I can scoop it out I guess I am gonna try it before I rent a skid steer.