Sometimes it's worth it to hire a land surveyor

/ Sometimes it's worth it to hire a land surveyor #31  
We're good on the right. That neighbor is a naked gardener like me. We know the liine +/- 10 feet. That's the easement for maintenance anyway.

Neighbor to the left is a pissant territorial rat. Had stakes put in about every 75 to 100 ft down the line. Neighbor on the other side removed them! I planted shrubs on my side of the stakes. Asked him whether he wanted me to mow for the Jap stilt grass down the back hill. "No, don't want your tractor on my land!" So, the wife started lining up logs along the line to keep my tractor off his precious land.

He cut our phone line in 2 places while planting trees. Phone company came out to run a new line. He stood on his land and declared HE did not have an easement. We looked it up. It's 10 ft +/- for utility and drainage easement state wide and likely country wide. Phone company later came out and figure out how to run a new line just on our property.
I had our 95 acres surveyed and t posts put in every 150 ft between corners; then filed at the courthouse. It's my land, I bought it; nothing territorial about it. I even had one guy move a storage shed he had built on my land behind his house.

/ Sometimes it's worth it to hire a land surveyor #32  
My friend bought an old house with a detached garage. The neighbor had the same set-up. The garages were about 10ft apart. The neighbor wanted to build a new, bigger garage and told my friend that his garage was over the line by 2ft. He then started making a big stink about it.

So my friend hires a surveyor and found out the neighbor had it backwards. The neighbor garage was 2ft over the line.

The neighbor went from tool to suck-up real fast.

/ Sometimes it's worth it to hire a land surveyor
^^^^
While doing mortgage loan inspections years ago I saw the same thing... except that it was a camp which had been winterized as a house.
The old survey even showed the line going through the building.
The owners were trying to refinance to prevent foreclosure. I'm not sure what ever came out of it.

/ Sometimes it's worth it to hire a land surveyor #34  
From your sketch it would appear that you own to the center of the roadway (layout), but you likely do not have a right to block that roadway/layout.

Where in Nfld. are you?
I was a USN pilot stationed at Argentia in the mid 60's.
I have great memories of my Nfld. days.
The Trans-Canada highway was still gravel from Gander to Corner Brook.
I’m in corner brook area at the moment. But originally further towards the south west corner. Yes Argentina use to be the base. How does that work I wonder. I can’t block it, that’s fine. But can I use it. Can they tell me to move off of it like you see in the pic. I bought land and now part of it is taken already

/ Sometimes it's worth it to hire a land surveyor #35  
ranger danger: That price seems huge but I do not know what they are up to. I had an irregular 153 acres surveyed that also needed to follow the winding river. Had many markers put down etc. That was a couple of years ago, about $2000 I think.

/ Sometimes it's worth it to hire a land surveyor #36  
I'm in northern Ca surrounded by residents with from 1 to 3 acre parcels. I have 15 corner markers. I know where 9 of them are. I'd kill to get a survey done for $2 grand!!!

/ Sometimes it's worth it to hire a land surveyor
You can buy 14 acres here for 40-50K... but you know the 3 things which make it valuable.

/ Sometimes it's worth it to hire a land surveyor #38  
I was told by my 87 year old neighbor, a few years after her husband passed away, that the ditch they dug was on the property line. I told her that the stake from when I had the place surveyed in 1999 was at the base of that pine tree. She said, nope, it is right about here... pointing to the ground. I called a friend of mine who does a little surveying for a living. He came out, and sure enough that stake was right where the 87 year old Lady said it was. Dang I really hate to be wrong, lol!
My backyard fence is about 3 foot over on the property line on the other side. When the new neighbors cleared the property, I offered to buy that 3 foot, but "it's not for sale"! Now there are 3 trees right up against the power line and cable line that are dead. The cost to have those 3 removed will probably exceed the value of the 3 feet of property.
David from jax

/ Sometimes it's worth it to hire a land surveyor #39  
What would cause you to be concerned or unsatisfied with a survey? If you were not satisfied, does it need to be done over or do surveys only come with tailight warranty? It would seem that a false survey could create an extremely messy legal situation.
Encroachments could be uncovered. Or there may be setback requirements that are disclosed with the survey that limit what you could build and where. A lot of things could be turned up when a good survey is done.

I am amazed at the number of people who but property and don’t get a survey.

I am aware of one situation where a House was over the line several feet and another where a swimming pool had been built with half of it on the adjoining property.

I would want to resolve those things before I bought it and not be locked into taking a parcel with severe encroachments.

/ Sometimes it's worth it to hire a land surveyor #40  
Around here more than 95% of property gets bought and sold without a survey. Commercial might be the exception.