Son of a Ditch....

/ Son of a Ditch.... #1  

teg

Tractor
s
After 10 years my road to the creek needed a little TLC. The inside ditch filled up and the water was cutting into the road bed. I didn't take any before photos because I didn't have time. :hissyfit:

I had put this project off thinking it was going to be a PITA. I loaned out a rear blade that was bent and could not spin around. The guy I gave it to ended up buying a box blade, so I got the blade back.

It's a Tuffline model, 6 foot and the best thing is that it does offset to either side... Although it took me longer to hammer off the bolt that held the siding offset than the time it took me to dig the ditches.

It only took about an hour total for getting the blade attached to the tractor (the blade fell down the hillside), Unbolting the offset feature, and digging the ditches (two passes).

Still need to pack it down or spread the dirt out and lay down some gravel.

View attachment 514984 View attachment 514985 View attachment 514986 View attachment 514987 View attachment 514988 View attachment 514989

/ Son of a Ditch.... #2  
I have a leinbach with similar adjustments, very handy for ditching although my tractor is a little small for the blade.

/ Son of a Ditch.... #3  
Great job...nice blade...!...sure saves hand labor...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

/ Son of a Ditch.... #4  
They are really good for cleaning out the ditch under the mailbox too!
6%20006.jpg

/ Son of a Ditch....
Really wish I took some action photos but I did this just an hour before leaving the farm...

Hydraulic side link (mainly) worked really well... about time it started to "pay" me back :D

Of the photos I posted, it was less than 25% of the total length. Soil was at ideal moisture, only once did I think I might be in trouble with spinning wheels. I did hit a couple of rocks or roots that stopped me dead... just had to lift the blade a hair and continue on down hill.

/ Son of a Ditch.... #6  
Well done :thumbsup: sure better than doing it by hand. ;)

/ Son of a Ditch.... #7  
Nice to get that on off your List, I'm sure.

Funny how you can sometimes breeze through "major" projects once you finally jump in..... I figure those are made up for those "I can knock that off in 30 minutes" ones, that turn into "the house is now supported by hydraulic jacks" :rolleyes: weeks later....

Rgds, D.

/ Son of a Ditch.... #8  
Next heavy rain you will be so glad you took care of that problem.

Looks good too.

/ Son of a Ditch.... #9  
Now that's the way ditching should go and look when completed. All my "ditching" concerns revolve around bedrock and that most areas are only 12" to 18" above the bedrock. Ditches tend to be pretty shallow.

/ Son of a Ditch.... #10  
I had rain over my driveway from one storm a couple weeks ago. When time permits going to have to borrow the neighbours blade and do the same. Thanks for posting the photo of the extreme angle/tilt of the blade so I know not just a few inches lower on the digging end will do it.