Soon to be a DK40 HST owner!

/ Soon to be a DK40 HST owner! #1  

IndyIan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST
Worked out most of the details last night with my dealer. He'll have to bring it in for me which will take a couple weeks so I can hardly wait.:)
I decided to go with the Ag tires, an extra remote, coolant heater, and hyd top link. I also will get him to load the back tires with rim guard and set them to the widest track for my hilly 100. Also he's going to see if Kioti will ship it with a 66" bucket off the the DK35 loader, it seemed identical in construction to the standard 72". I'll add a tooth bar to it as well for a little help in the dirt.
I've got to find a bale spear now and a heavy 6 or 7' box blade for ballast and working of course.

/ Soon to be a DK40 HST owner! #2  
Good choice and good tractor. Does it have a cab?

What state are you in?

/ Soon to be a DK40 HST owner!
No cab, and I'm near Peterborough, Ontario. So pushing snow will require some dress up, but nothing a hardwater fisherman can't handle!
I was doing my 1/4 mile driveway with my 300 kingquad so if I got more than 8" of heavy snow, it took 2 or 3 hours of fancy plowing to get it all off. So a blade or blower on the tractor should be a breeze compared to fighting the bars on the quad for hours...
Anyone have a 7' Kodiak HD box blade? I hope they make one to fit a Cat 1 hitch but their website isn't the greatest.

/ Soon to be a DK40 HST owner! #4  
I've had a DK40SE HST for a little over a year now and am very happy with it. You should be too.

Horst makes excellent FEL bale spears and I believe they are in Ontario, so I would look for that brand. I still have one of their rear (3pt) bale spears as well, it's also excellent.

You probably realize this, but if you get a 66" bucket and set the rears as wide as possible, you won't be able to scrape or dig extensive trenches with the FEL bucket because the rears will mash in the sides as you go. This may or may not matter depending on your plans. Some of the same work could be done with a 6' or 7' box blade which you already mentioned.

I've had a DK40SE HST for a little over a year now and am very happy with it. You should be too.

Horst makes excellent FEL bale spears and I believe they are in Ontario, so I would look for that brand. I still have one of their rear (3pt) bale spears as well, it's also excellent.

You probably realize this, but if you get a 66" bucket and set the rears as wide as possible, you won't be able to scrape or dig extensive trenches with the FEL bucket because the rears will mash in the sides as you go. This may or may not matter depending on your plans. Some of the same work could be done with a 6' or 7' box blade which you already mentioned.
Anyone have a DK with Ag's set at it widest? My calcs have it at 73" with 58.6" tread and a 14.4" wide tire but I'm not betting the farm on it.
I can't see myself needing to dig a trench just a tractor width wide. Maybe I should stay with the 72" for snow and get a narrow skid steer bucket for serious digging?
My plan is to get a HD box blade(some have 1/2" endplates) and let the rippers loosen things up and either move dirt with the box or the bucket then. I have some gravel banks that are probably OK to move with a regular bucket as is, but other areas are clay till so I probably can't move much of that with any attachement on the loader without loosening it up some how.
I'll look for a horst spear too but I'm trying to get used for the simple implements as much as I can. I'll probably on move 50 bales a year with it and the tractor budget is going to be depleted for quite a while now!

/ Soon to be a DK40 HST owner! #6  
My plan is to get a HD box blade(some have 1/2" endplates) and let the rippers loosen things up and either move dirt with the box or the bucket then. I have some gravel banks that are probably OK to move with a regular bucket as is, but other areas are clay till so I probably can't move much of that with any attachement on the loader without loosening it up some how.

Using the box scraper is probably going to be easier on the tractor and more effective than trying to dig with the FEL in any consolidated material. Once material is loose it's easy to pick up with the FEL and the exact bucket width doesn't matter much. As a bonus a HD box scraper is an excellent counterweight for loader work.

/ Soon to be a DK40 HST owner! #7  
Welcome to the Pack!

Be well,
David

/ Soon to be a DK40 HST owner! #8  
IndyIan,

Welcome.

I have a Kodiak landscape rake 7' used with my 34 hp tractor and it is falling apart. General weld quality was bad. I've got two broken tines. It was not abused. Mostly uses to clean out manure and a bit on the driveway.

Put your money in a brand name HD boxblade. I have a 6' Woods HB72 which I love. I would go 7' in your case. Woods, LandPride and BushHog are the way to go IMHO.

I love the Horst stuff. I have a rear spear and a toothbar from them. Have you considered a front two time spear? I assume you are getting skid steer qa? If not, I'd STRONGLY recommend it.

Last edited:
IndyIan,

Welcome. That machine and the DK45 are excellent in the Kioti lineup.

I have a Kodiak landscape rake 7' used with my 34 hp tractor and it is falling apart. General weld quality was bad. I've got two broken tines. It was not abused. Mostly uses to clean out manure and a bit on the driveway.

Put your money in a brand name HD boxblade. I have a 6' Woods HB72 which I love. I would go 7' in your case. Woods, LandPride and BushHog are the way to go IMHO.

I love the Horst stuff. I have a rear spear and a toothbar from them. Have you considered a front two time spear? I assume you are getting skid steer qa? If not, I'd STRONGLY recommend it.
Thanks for all the welcomes!
The tractor does come with a skid steer QA, and I'll look for those names in boxblades. I think I've found a used bale spear on line but they aren't sure of which quick attach system it is. I found the specs for the skid steer QA so I might go look at it with my tape measure. I'm looking for a snowblower too, any reason not to get a 7' one? I assume with the hst I can always go slower easily for a heavy snow and a bit faster for a light snow? We never seem to get big dumps here and my driveway doesn't drift in.