Source for buckets of cheap grease?

/ Source for buckets of cheap grease? #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
Anyone have a suggestion for a source for bucket-sized quantities of cheap grease? Water resistant. Maybe about a gallon or so. Not food-grade or edible, probably petroleum-based. Bad tasting would be a plus.

Grease seems to work good on the bird feeder poles to discourage the rat bastard raccoons, but Crisco pretty quickly washes off (or they actually eat it?). I'm thinking something heavy enough to slather on with an old paint brush. So maybe your local steam locomotive parts store? Or an ocean liner propeller bearing dealer?

- Jay

/ Source for buckets of cheap grease? #2  
I was just down at my local ocean liner propeller bearing dealer the other day and didn't think to ask him. Dang it! He might know of the grease rating system related to raccoons getting a grip on ship propeller shafts. It might be the PS-RG/1981 Bureau of Standards "Slick Stuff" study. Do a search.

/ Source for buckets of cheap grease? #3  
Make a metal cone for around the pole

/ Source for buckets of cheap grease? #4  
I was just down at my local ocean liner propeller bearing dealer the other day and didn't think to ask him. Dang it! He might know of the grease rating system related to raccoons getting a grip on ship propeller shafts. It might be the PS-RG/1981 Bureau of Standards "Slick Stuff" study. Do a search.

Raspy, while visiting MY ocean liner propeller bearing dealer there in Tucson, I did check on their raccoon grease deterrent ratings. The numbers were NOT good, so they've discontinued re-stocking it I the 1 gallon cans. They did have a few 55 gallon drums of it left though, so JRobyn might want to swing by there and pick up a couple of barrels?

PS Here I am just before hitting the 'post' button feeling guilty about JRobyn's serious question. 'J' - please accept my apology. I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet. It's all in fun.

/ Source for buckets of cheap grease? #5  
Anyone have a suggestion for a source for bucket-sized quantities of cheap grease? Water resistant. Maybe about a gallon or so. Not food-grade or edible, probably petroleum-based. Bad tasting would be a plus.

Grease seems to work good on the bird feeder poles to discourage the rat bastard raccoons, but Crisco pretty quickly washes off (or they actually eat it?). I'm thinking something heavy enough to slather on with an old paint brush. So maybe your local steam locomotive parts store? Or an ocean liner propeller bearing dealer?

- Jay
BirdX sticky goo would work on the pole. A few dollars per caulk tube size. Very unpleasant to get on you. Durable application ~ permanent.

/ Source for buckets of cheap grease? #6  
I tried the grease method, and it worked for awhile. Then they figured out ways to still climb the poles. I have 2 poles with 5 feeders total. One pole is an old cedar telephone pole that I have wrapped with aluminum 3' up. Can't stop them, even when greased. The other is a 3/4" pipe post. That one they grab the back side of the post with their front paws and push their back feet on the front side of the pipe. They walk up to it and climb it in one fluid motion without slowing down, even when greased. After tiring of buying seed to feed the coons, I got serious. Bought a simple electric fence unit from Rural King, and an inexpensive but very nice timer from Menards. I slipped a 3' length of PVC 1" pipe over the 3/4" post. Then wrapped a section of 1/2" hardware cloth (fence) tightly around the PVC. On the large post, I used more of the same fence but kept it an inch away from the post using a couple plastic electric fence posts in between. I used a roll of the black plastic tubing to insulate the main feed wire out to the feeder area. The electric fence charge hangs up buy the house along with the external timer. Instant results and I never lose seed to the coon. It's been working for 2 years and definitely has paid for itself.

/ Source for buckets of cheap grease?
Certainly no apologies needed, but accepted anyway. I have the wobble cones. Once they're up the poles, they like to prop their fat butts on top of the cone with back legs wrapped around the post, one front leg around the post and the other front leg for shoveling sunflower. Very cute (wife says), and make for good pellet rifle targets in this position. But hard to make a humane shot in the dark.

BirdX sounds interesting but even messier than grease. The Crisco really worked good until most of it got removed SOMEHOW. My poles are 2" EMT on one feeder and 2" PVC on the other. They like to climb the PVC the BEST! Feeders are on opposite sides of the house, so I think I'd need two chargers, but sounds like that is the ultimate solution.

Thanks for the tips!

- Jay

/ Source for buckets of cheap grease? #8  
I tried the grease method, and it worked for awhile. Then they figured out ways to still climb the poles. I have 2 poles with 5 feeders total. One pole is an old cedar telephone pole that I have wrapped with aluminum 3' up. Can't stop them, even when greased. The other is a 3/4" pipe post. That one they grab the back side of the post with their front paws and push their back feet on the front side of the pipe. They walk up to it and climb it in one fluid motion without slowing down, even when greased. After tiring of buying seed to feed the coons, I got serious. Bought a simple electric fence unit from Rural King, and an inexpensive but very nice timer from Menards. I slipped a 3' length of PVC 1" pipe over the 3/4" post. Then wrapped a section of 1/2" hardware cloth (fence) tightly around the PVC. On the large post, I used more of the same fence but kept it an inch away from the post using a couple plastic electric fence posts in between. I used a roll of the black plastic tubing to insulate the main feed wire out to the feeder area. The electric fence charge hangs up buy the house along with the external timer. Instant results and I never lose seed to the coon. It's been working for 2 years and definitely has paid for itself.

You took all of the fun out....:) I was going to recommend claymores...

/ Source for buckets of cheap grease? #10  
Your local commercial bulk oil suppler would be in phonebook will have 25 lb keg different grades from low impact to hi impact hi temp hope helps if don't already have info