Speed Deterent with 'Fake' Radar Signal?

/ Speed Deterent with 'Fake' Radar Signal? #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
I live on a rural state road which is considered residential. The road has a lot of curves and blind driveways and the speed limit is set at 30mph. It's pretty common that some vehicles are doing upwards of 55 mph, including larger trucks. Both myself and my wife have had close calls pulling out of our driveway. The local PD will set up radar on request occasionally, but catch few as their presence is known by people flashing lights and radar detectors.

Had the thought if I can setup a radar band transmitter in a legal band such as what stores use on their doors or similar, it might make drivers think there's 'real' radar setup. While some radar detectors 'filter' out some bands, a lot don't, so it might have an effect of slowing a few down. Not looking to 'jam' radar, but just give a false impression of PD radar presence.

This is cheap and I may give it a try Amazon.com: SMAKN HB1 Microwave Sensor Module 10.525GHz Doppler Radar Motion Detector Arduino: Car Electronics . For the voltage and current draw it has I don't believe it has a load of power. The frequency falls into the X band which I think is what door sensors use.

Any thoughts or ideas what else might work?

/ Speed Deterent with 'Fake' Radar Signal? #2  
I dont know anyone that still uses radar detectors.
I think they will figure it out real quick, and it will be ineffective.

/ Speed Deterent with 'Fake' Radar Signal? #3  
I dont know anyone that still uses radar detectors.
I think they will figure it out real quick, and it will be ineffective.

Yeah.....same here. Haven't even seen one in many years.

/ Speed Deterent with 'Fake' Radar Signal? #4  
I would suspect it is the most regular users of the road that go the fastest, they will learn. Also some radar detectors use GPS to look for repeated signals at the same location. Once they have detected the same signal at the same location 3 times they no longer will alert.

/ Speed Deterent with 'Fake' Radar Signal? #5  
I would suspect it is the most regular users of the road that go the fastest, they will learn. Also some radar detectors use GPS to look for repeated signals at the same location. Once they have detected the same signal at the same location 3 times they no longer will alert.

Maybe I'm devious, maybe delusional. Set it up and have the radar detectors reject it for signal at the same location. Then call the police.

I've seen a couple of radar detectors on dashes lately so somebody is still using them.

/ Speed Deterent with 'Fake' Radar Signal? #6  
I live on a rural state road which is considered residential. The road has a lot of curves and blind driveways and the speed limit is set at 30mph. It's pretty common that some vehicles are doing upwards of 55 mph, including larger trucks. Both myself and my wife have had close calls pulling out of our driveway. The local PD will set up radar on request occasionally, but catch few as their presence is known by people flashing lights and radar detectors.

You could be in some legal trouble over the use of a police radar band in case some driver gets the wrong message.

Instead, you have a decent tractor, get a good box blade and put in some speed bumps. If they get bruised, use sections of steel pipe. A 1" bump would do the job very well. Pay for it with the gold fillings that wind up in the street.

/ Speed Deterent with 'Fake' Radar Signal? #7  
Have a nice street sign made that says "Slow - Nudists Crossing Ahead"

/ Speed Deterent with 'Fake' Radar Signal? #8  
MarkF48,

I feel your pain. I'm finding drivers are getting very aggressive these days. As you mentioned, they far exceed the speed limit, then complain/honk when you pull out in front of them. They just don't get it, a posted speed limit of 30 mph is to allow folks to pull out safely.

I'm also seeing cars driving aggressively in parking lots. Nothing so frustrating when you are trying to back out of a parking spot at a grocery store and instead of stopping, they accelerate to "sneak by". Just at that moment you stomp on the breaks. I creep through the lot and if I see the back up lights I stop and tap my horn gently.

/ Speed Deterent with 'Fake' Radar Signal? #9  

You could be in some legal trouble over the use of a police radar band in case some driver gets the wrong message.

Instead, you have a decent tractor, get a good box blade and put in some speed bumps. If they get bruised, use sections of steel pipe. A 1" bump would do the job very well. Pay for it with the gold fillings that wind up in the street.

You are worried about legal trouble over broadcasting a radar signal.....

Then advise him to use his tractor, tear up the road, and make speed bumps on a state highway??:confused2:

/ Speed Deterent with 'Fake' Radar Signal? #10  
There was a thread about concave mirrors on such roads, like we'd have for hi-lo drivers at 'intersections' in the plant.

Could a pair of mirrors be placed across from the driveway entrance to spot oncoming traffic?
Goal is to get in & out safely, and as civilians we're not gonna slow drivers down.
Or go solar for ~$7,500:

i-JLs9TX9-S.jpg

Get the neighbors to go in on it? :D (Thanks to Frontier Truck Parts!)