Spindle Shaft Bearings Finish Mower

/ Spindle Shaft Bearings Finish Mower #1  

pacerron

Veteran Member
Tractor
CNH 4020
My 15 year old Woods 990 finish mower, estimated 2000 hours since I bought it new, developed a strange roaring sound this week. I shut it down immediately, fearing gearbox problems.
After checking everything I have determined that the left blade spindle shaft, looking at it from behind the mower, is making the noise and gripping it's belt pulley with a monkey wrench I feel and hear some slop when pulling the pulley up using the wrench for leverage. The other spindles are good. I also hear the noise in that spindle by removing the PTO shaft from the gearbox and rotating the gearbox by hand with a pin punch through the bolt hole.
The manual says spindle repair is in the dealer do category since the bearings were pressed to the shaft and the shaft may need pressed out. Then it says use a pin punch and hammer.
I intend to dismantle the assembly from the mower to see what is needed
for the repair, order parts, fix it myself and/or take the shaft in to a dealer.
My question is: Has anyone done this type of bearing change on a Woods or other brand finish mower and found it impossible to do without a press?
Ron

/ Spindle Shaft Bearings Finish Mower #2  
I have rebuilt the spindles on my Challenger RFM. They used standard 1.25 id bearings top and bottom and snap rings to hold the assembly in place. Only the outer race pressed in place.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
   / Spindle Shaft Bearings Finish Mower
Thanks for your input.
Woods uses tapered roller bearings. It will be interesting to see what quality
of bearings are available now and where they are made.
Ron