Splitters and Wood, show your pics!

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics!
Did people stop splitting wood?
New tractor for myself. TYM T394 can haul the big logs!

Attachments

• IMG_6962.jpg
    IMG_6962.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 110
   / Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #122  
I think the "tractors and wood" thread pretty much covers splitting, too. Pretty good catch-all thread for anything wood related.

Nice tractor!

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #123  
Here is a link to my post on adding an adjustable wedge to my splitter and a run down on the splitter.

I also prefer large rounds and having a log loader on the splitter allows me to wrangle them fairly easily. Of course I really don't have much choice since that seems to be what we end up cutting when we are rounding up wood.

The tractor part of the equation is my L 4060 HSTC equipped with pallet forks and a home made grapple to lift the logs.

I live in an ex-urb area where most folks built their homes on a wooded lot with most of the trees left standing around the house. The trees are now dying so my wood cutting buddy and I end up with some pretty good sized standing oaks, some of which are 30 inches or more at the stump. If they are away from the house we drop them; if they are too close the homeowner pays a tree service to drop them and we clean them up. We have also benefitted from a couple of storms that dropped quite a few oaks in the neighborhood over the past couple of years. We buck them up into 10 foot logs (or shorter if the Kubota cannot pick them up) and load them into a dump trailer to go to the wood lot where we buck and split them when the weather turns cold.

Our efforts keep three families in wood and we usually split 10 to 15 cords a year. As a side benefit we get the neighbor's teenagers to help out which instills a sense of community and teaches them about how working together benefits everyone. With all three families working together we get the wood done in a couple of weekends.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #124  
Jerry, I am 69. It was a deciding factor in keeping my old splitter. How much longer do/can I heat with wood? If I was 20 years younger, the investment might make sense....or if I wanted to sell wood.

I have decided to invest in a cutting table that drops rounds to a ramp feeding the splitter...and from the splitter into IBC totes. Avoiding bending, picking up stuff, and double handling will make the job so much easier for a lot less money. The grapple cost me $1000 and the rest of the system will be less than $500.
Cutting table? Sounds interesting can you post a picture(s)?

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #125  
Cutting table? Sounds interesting can you post a picture(s)?

After looking at incorporating a cutting table into the process, I realized it was not a long term solution. I needed something I could still utilize when I am 80+++

So we rented a firewood processor and it was a game changer. We can process all our firewood in one day...cutting and splitting. The most time is stacking wood in totes, but I am working on a way to eliminate that as well.

If I was 20 years younger, I would invest in a processor and not only do my needs, but have a side gig processing for others.

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #127  
Here is a couple pictures of how I process about 6 cords I use to heat my shop building.
in the field I cut logs to multiples of 16” long and with a grapple bring the logs to my processing area where they are cut into 16” rounds and pushed into a pile with my FEL. At this point, they are split and stacked on folding racks each rack holding one face cord. From that point each full rack is moved to a covered storage area to cure.
DC97B9D8-47F7-4E6B-B095-0E0A3F367695.jpeg
EEB714B9-4699-4E72-8F54-394D3DA07748.jpeg
F647E97A-243F-46DC-980A-331C61C57790.jpeg
EEB714B9-4699-4E72-8F54-394D3DA07748.jpeg

/ Splitters and Wood, show your pics! #128  
Here is a very nice wood splitter:

willy