SPLITTING A TS254c

/ SPLITTING A TS254c #41  
I'd take $300 if you'd foot the freight bill. The clutchpack itself weighs 35#, the PTO friction disc/two bearings/stack height tool weighs another 5#. Then there's the weight of the box. My ZIP code is 42408. That should give you enough info to guesstimate the freight.

I replaced mine for the exact same reason you describe above; clutch release fingers ground down so far they looked melted. Only things that had to be replaced were the six fingers. Springs were all good, pressure plate faces and friction disc surfaces only needed refacing.

I've got this tractor up for sale at the moment, so don't anticipate much of a need for this spare clutchpack anymore.

//greg//

/ SPLITTING A TS254c #42  
Well, I wish I had seen this thread when grsr3 first started it.
I did a clutch repair about the same time or a little after he did. Mine was on a Kama 554, and it is different that the TS254's. But there were some significant improvements I made to the new throw-out bearing and sliding collar. I installed a greasable zerk fitting that lubes both the sliding collar and also the throw-out bearing itself. I ran a grease line to the housing so that I could grease it once a month from the outside ... don't even need to take the inspection cover off to do it.
I had lots of photos that showed the replacement (top quality) throw-out bearing I got, and the whole procedure for splitting the tractor. It might be of value for those who are facing a similar problem?
Here is the link to it...
Clutch Repair Kama 554
You will see that my clutch fingers (only 3) were also ground down because of the frozen OEM throw-out bearing. It is a long thread but has lots of photos and information and a huge amount of input from TBN members. Anyway, I'm hoping the thread will benefit others.
Rob-

/ SPLITTING A TS254c #43  
I finally got my tractor back together 2 weeks ago. Thanks to Greg for all his help and guidance. If anyone is looking for a newly repaired low hour Kama, let me know. I may be willing to let her go cheap.

/ SPLITTING A TS254c #44  
I finally got my tractor back together 2 weeks ago. Thanks to Greg for all his help and guidance. If anyone is looking for a newly repaired low hour Kama, let me know. I may be willing to let her go cheap.

Why sell it now that you have it fixed? Yes, you had issues but that was 90% due to the poor prep of the tractor. Many of us who bought tractors from good dealers find them to be tough as nails.

Chris

/ SPLITTING A TS254c #45  
This is Bennie, a new member and a new owner to a ts254c tractor. I have wiring problems (connected burned and wires out)
I am also going to have to split my unit. I have 1st gear with some broken teeth and my unit will go in reverse but only travel about 5 ft then pop out. goes forward fine. I believe I read where you had a wiring diagram or book on yours. I would be gladly willing to pay you for a copy of wiring. Could any body help me there. I don't know if this is proper or not replying like this. If it is I am sorry, just need some help bad.
Thanking you I am.
Bennie

/ SPLITTING A TS254c #46  
Mstschwartz: I believe you said you have papers on your ts254c. I am going to have to split my unit also. Having first gear problems and reverse on the shuttle gear.
Bennie

/ SPLITTING A TS254c #47  
You are posting in a thread that is 7 years old. So old that some of the members posting are no longer with us. If you send a message to 3RRL (if he is still active) he is very conversant with this make of tractor. (if you look at some of his posts you could find them very interesting)

/ SPLITTING A TS254c #48  
Hi George,

I had the same problem a year or so ago.
I was warned about keeping my foot off the pedal when I bought the tractor,
and have been careful about it. I've have also tried to avoid situations where there's
a lot of clutching.

My bearing seized up and ground the fingers off the clutch, so I ordered a new clutch and bearing. A buddy and I split the tractor and replaced them.

I've kept the new bearing greased, and even hook my foot under the pedal each time making sure it's pulled back all the way. I opened the cover to grease it a couple weeks ago, and the bearing is again showing abuse. Wouldn't spin freely, etc... I got grease in it and got it to spin, but not smoothly.

I'm nursing it along now, but I know that soon it will be case splitting time again.

Everyone I've talked to says "don't rest your foot on the pedal"....and I don't, so
I can believe you when you say you didn't either.

If you find a US replacement bearing, please let me know.
I like the tractor just fine, but not the throw-out bearing so much.
Hi George,

I had the same problem a year or so ago.
I was warned about keeping my foot off the pedal when I bought the tractor,
and have been careful about it. I've have also tried to avoid situations where there's
a lot of clutching.

My bearing seized up and ground the fingers off the clutch, so I ordered a new clutch and bearing. A buddy and I split the tractor and replaced them.

I've kept the new bearing greased, and even hook my foot under the pedal each time making sure it's pulled back all the way. I opened the cover to grease it a couple weeks ago, and the bearing is again showing abuse. Wouldn't spin freely, etc... I got grease in it and got it to spin, but not smoothly.

I'm nursing it along now, but I know that soon it will be case splitting time again.

Everyone I've talked to says "don't rest your foot on the pedal"....and I don't, so
I can believe you when you say you didn't either.

If you find a US replacement bearing, please let me know.
I like the tractor just fine, but not the throw-out bearing so much.
Where did you find the clutch, i know this is old, but i am desperate